Author Topic: Model from Blender loads with no textures  (Read 1425 times)

So--I'm new, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong--but I can't figure out what. I have the mesh with textures in Blender. It is UV mapped.

I export to .fbx

I start a new substance painter session using the .fbx

It loads and has the mesh and the names of the textures--but they don't show up.

I do Bake all textures. That completes without error.

This is the drop-box link to my .fbx file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6yzlpqmwp29qecb/hirojet2.fbx?dl=0

Still nothing. What am I doing wrong here?

You need to fix your UVs... they overlap on all of your sets. I can see your material IDs in Painter just fine, but they need to be fixed. If you cannot see anything then you should post a log file, maybe your PC specs don't meet the requirements.

https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/spdoc/exporting-the-log-file-128745475.html

I appreciate the quick replay.
1. My machine specs are fine--that's not the issue
2. I ... believe I have fixed my UVs. I created a 4096 x 4096 blank uv map in Blender and did an unwrap and smart uv map with a 0.9 space between each one. When I look at the UV map they are all separate. (new fbx here): https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lmgh5xjq9178mn/hirojet-2.fbx?dl=0

3. When I bake my textures I choose "Color Source" for the material color.

4. So my question is--this is what it looks like in the display in Blender

This is what the UI shows me in Substance Painter

A - Should it look the same after I bake my images in both? Shouldn't I see the basic blender textures in Substance Painter?

B - Is there some mode I have to turn on in order to see that? There doesn't seem to be.

C - I can see all my texture ID's enumerated just fine. The problem is that they don't show up on the mesh.

Oh--and this is my log file.

A - Should it look the same after I bake my images in both? Shouldn't I see the basic blender textures in Substance Painter?

Post your layer stack please. You should see your basic Blender textures if you actually imported them into Painter and have assigned them to a fill layer, yes. They will not somehow magically show up by themselves.

I have no idea how you actually set up your Painter project.

"3. When I bake my textures I choose "Color Source" for the material color."

In what application? Does that mean you have baked the color textures from one UV layout to another one in Blender? Or why did you do the baking. What kind of textures are that in Blender, why didn't you create those in Painter?
Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 12:37:58 pm

1. I had thought that importing an FBX would bring the textures with it. How do I import the blender textures explicitly?

2. Setting up the Painter project was just done using the New project and selecting the FBX.

3. I did the baking in substance painter.

This is my texture set list:

The textures are all there--why don't they show up in the UI view?

The textures are all there--why don't they show up in the UI view?

Substance Painter creates TextureSets based on material names, it does not mean that any images have been imported, they haven't. You need to import them by drag-dropping them from Windows Explorer into the Painter Shelf, or use File -> Import Resources.

Then you need to assign the imported maps to a fill layer to display them on the object.

I doubt you will need 11 separate TextureSets for your gun, unless you are planning to texture your red and green lights with 8k textures each. Also keep in mind that you will not be able to paint across TextureSets.

Thus, you should assign a single material to your object in Blender, then re-import into Painter (Edit -> Project Configuration). This will create a single TextureSet to work on, which will most likely be sufficient for an object like your gun.
Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 03:34:39 pm

Huhh--so--it's not easy to do basic materials in blender and then import into substance painter for alterations / touch-ups?

That doesn't sound right to me. I think I'm missing something here. How do I import the substances from blender? Right now they are all in one packed ".blend" file. Is there a way I can save them separately?

How do I import them and into Substance Painter and assign them to a material?

Material assignments in an external app like Blender will exclusively be used in Painter to create texture sets. I guess you need to adjust your workflow.

You imported substance files from Substance Designer into Blender? Import the substance files into Painter using 'Import Resources" if you still have them separately, and assign them to fill layers just as you do with the images.

I don't know how to export them from a Blender file, if thats possible at all.

If you've baked your textures in Blender, instead of building htat texture in SP, you need to import the map. Or bake the maps then replace the required ones. In honesty, if you've textured and baked everything in Blender, not sure why you'd pull it into SP.
The workflow I use is model, uvmap, assign material names, (just simple 'placeholder' materials), use vertex paint to assign an ID map if I want one, then export. I work in SP and then bake my textures out to pull into Blender. If you have the "live link" addon by Hedgehog Labs, (hhconnect in Blender), you can work in SP and update Blender on the fly if you want to see the object within a scene.
https://gumroad.com/l/fTRFN

Thanks--that is, in fact, what I'm doing now.

I'm "okay" with blender so I wanted to use it to do a basic look-and-feel and then get it into Substance Painter for fine work--but that's not how it's supposed to be used so, hey. I learned something.

Right now I am having some difficulty with UV mapping--I can use Lightmap Pack to get the textures all separated nicely--but then I have to work in 4k because even on small items they're too big for smaller texture maps.

Is there a best-practice for how I do my UV mapping so that I can make it more acceptable without having a billion different small pieces I have to assemble?

This is a link to my latest attempt (reasonably successful, I think)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hlce1n3mgr7x9bx/gas_mask.fbx?dl=0

My issue is that:
1. I wanted to do the mask and tube as one thing--for ease of use in the modeling--but then, even if I do smart-unwrap it still overlays the UVs.
2. Is it really just that my objects are too big / dense?

I pulled your object into Blender and initially was rather confused as I couldn't get a decent UVmap. Then I realised your "tube was in fact multiple objects, rather than one actual tube, the "end pieces" of each meant you were getting a ton of objects instead of one nice tube. Dunno if this is intentional or not. Is this a mesh you created yourself? Would it be ok for me to revise it and map it based on how I would approach it?
Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 12:36:14 pm

Oh, yeah--definitely--I think this is happening because I created one segment of the long tube and then multiplied it along a path using an array and deform modifier--which, I think . . .  is how Blender "likes to do it." I then converted the thing into a mesh--which I thought would simplify it.

I'm no expert at Blender--or, clearly at SP--so, by all means--tell me how you'd do it--I'm very much still learning. Below is the piece I was working to create--so I *did* get the texturing going (you can see it on the mask and the flame-thrower). But, yes--by all means--anything you can suggest I'm interested in!