Author Topic: Maya 2018 Substance plugin not working reliably  (Read 17928 times)

Just bumping this to hear of any news about the Maya 2018 plugin. I'm mostly interested in the VRay 3.6 workflow, will there be any preset setups for this?

Hi terrys_1,
What do you mean preset setup?
Cheers, D

Well maybe not presets but more of an automated shader network based on your renderer. So you choose VRay and it makes all of the connections for you.

Just bumping this to hear of any news about the Maya 2018 plugin. I'm mostly interested in the VRay 3.6 workflow, will there be any preset setups for this?

Hi terrys_1,
What do you mean preset setup?
Cheers, D

Well maybe not presets but more of an automated shader network based on your renderer. So you choose VRay and it makes all of the connections for you.

This is definitely something we want to do. We've been discussing this internally a lot and will eventually bring this type of one-click setup for renderers.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

This guy is awesome!!! totally donate and toss $$ at him..- makes life a ton easier!

Supports multiple dcc apps and renderers.
It will then create the shader network for you.. then each time you hit the plugin button in SP - it updates maya.

http://www.cgchannel.com/2017/10/download-hedgehog-labs-free-substance-painter-live-link/
Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 07:28:27 pm

Did this ever get updated? I am currently using 2018 and have the same issue as the originator of the post.

L

Any word on the substance plugin for maya 2018 yet?

There are some misunderstanding about this.

The Substance plug-in for Maya is not the Substance Painter software.

Substance Painter is a texture painting software (it has no compatibility with anything, it does not need that. You can export any type of texture set for any workflow/material/renderer from Painter).

However the Substance plug-in is basically an .sbsar (essentially a “material”) reader. That is the format which you can create with Substance Designer.

I hope this helps.
Cheers, D

Hi,

I'm very sorry for the delay. We are still working on a few bugs. The 2018 plugin is adding some new features and a preference menu. We are looking to have a beta release this week.

Cheers,
wes

What version of the plugin are you using?

The 1.2.4 version that ships with Maya 2018 likely won't load newer sbsars, as the engines are old. The 1.4.1 version should have better compatibility with newer sbsars. This is available on our website.

We're about to enter beta for the 2.0.0 release of the plugin, which should be much more stable, and will be available for Maya 2018 and 2019.
Software Engineer, Integrations
Maya, 3ds Max and Core Libraries