Author Topic: any non-game engine possibilities for rendering with pbr shader info intact?  (Read 2225 times)

The subject says it all - Substance Painter seems mainly targeted for game engines that will support the pbr shader (I assume anyway) Is there another program where you can bring in all the texture outputs from SP (including the channels related to PBR) to allow a full render of the model so that the material info looks exactly (or close enough) like what was painted in SP? If not, it would be very helpful to have some kind of tutorial showing the best workflow for say - the best methods for recreating the look using the texture maps in a program like Modo or Maya.  Thanks for any info in advance...

if you enable the specular channel and just set up fills which only affect metallic and roughness (to keep them at steady values so you can forget about them), you can use the specular channel (which will work on the image-based reflections) pretty much as normal.

painter's shader doesnt use lights, instead it derives lighting from the images used for reflections - so there's no real way to have it looking like unreal engine 3 at the moment.

painter doesnt yet have a blinn or phong style shader to work with dx9 graphics, but they just opened up their shaders so we can plug in new ones - hopefully it won't be long before someone produces a UE3 phong shader, a blinn shader or something similar. it doesnt *seem* like that would be hard to do, so maybe allegorithmic will surprise us, after all, substance designer already has these shaders available....
Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 08:58:48 pm

The subject says it all - Substance Painter seems mainly targeted for game engines that will support the pbr shader (I assume anyway) Is there another program where you can bring in all the texture outputs from SP (including the channels related to PBR) to allow a full render of the model so that the material info looks exactly (or close enough) like what was painted in SP? If not, it would be very helpful to have some kind of tutorial showing the best workflow for say - the best methods for recreating the look using the texture maps in a program like Modo or Maya.  Thanks for any info in advance...

Hello,

One option would be to use Marmoset Toolbag 2.0. Here you can utilize the PBR metal/rough or Spec/gloss maps and it works very well with SP output.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

I just tried the Marmoset Toolbag demo - seems perfect for my needs, thank you.