Author Topic: USDZ creation missing the option of transparency and emission  (Read 169 times)

Hello!

I'm just diving into Substance Painter for the creation of .usdz files for AR Quick Look.
There will have to be created a lot of assets, so the option of using Substance Painter as the main
hub comes in very handy, since manually compiling them via Apple's Xcode is not very efficient...

Using the basic workflow with the PBR - Metallic Roughness (allegorithmic) template works very well,
and the resulting .usdz file works flawless on iOS devices!

But this template is missing the option of transparency and emission, which are critical for my szenario.

Is there a way to create a custom workflow that will allow for the addition of these two missing maps
to be exported the same way as a 'on-click' solution??

I'll be greatful for any help!!
Cheers!
Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 04:32:19 pm

Hi, you can use the "USD PBR Metal Roughness" export preset directly starting with Substance Painter 2018.3.3. This should export the opacity and emissive channels if they are present in your texture set.

Hello Jeremie!

Thanks for the hint.
Yes, i'll have to use the USD PBR Metal Roughness export preset, since this is the only possibility to export a .usdz...

As mentioned i start the project with the PBR - Metallic Roughness (allegorithmic) template - and this doen't give
me the option of transparency when editing the materials (i use the default materials as a base and tweak the to my needs).

I also tried to start the project with the PBR - Metallic Roughness Alpha-blend (allegorithmic) template, but exporting this
with the USD PBR Metal Roughness export preset gives artifacts like inverted and broken normals.

So how does the project have to be configured to get the transparent option on the materials??
Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 03:16:20 pm

It should be as simple as adding an Opacity channel to your texture set, using the opacity shader and exporting. Have you tried using the alpha-test shader?
I remember AR Quick Look and ARKit having some bugs when it comes to transparency though, this could be the issue here.
Would you be able to send over your project or resulting USDZ file?

I'll prepare the files and send you a PM...