Author Topic: Splatter across white lines/paths calculated from input masks  (Read 253 times)

Looks like atm Designer cant splatter shapes precisely on top of white input lines/paths calculated from input white areas. It can only mask out shapes not splattered inside them (cant define their position - can only hide those that dont qualify to some degree).
Right now only way to splatter shapes on some precise proceduraly generated areas is to splatter before any warping etc takes place. While its an ok workaround, its limiting freedom of procedural creation.

Example: Make long vertical lines, warp them and play around with their shape, then add perpendicular horizontal "cuts" on those lines. Its either impossible or nobody i asked know the way. I finally did it by adding the cuts on straight vertical lines, and then warped it all together. I already can think of scenarios where this workaround woudlnt cut it (any scenario where you would like non-deformed, perfect shapes splattered precisely on some generated areas that are warped / deformed in some way.

you are asking for two fairly separate things here. yes, substance can scatter shapes precisely on top of whatever you want, but your mask needs to be perfect for the result you want. how would substance know which white pixel is okay to splatter a shape on and which isn't? it's up to the artist to feed the tools inputs that return the desired results. spawn a shape for each pixel in your image and make sure your mask is actually mathematically clean and exactly what you want.

your other request seems to be in regards to orienting shapes in the "flow" of your mask. there are ways to get the orientation of your mask and use that to drive the orientation of the splattered shapes, but they are not "use this node, it will give you what you want".
you could build a pixel-processor that looks at n amount of surrounding pixels to determine the orientation of your shape. or you could make a normal map out of your shape, pre-process it to clean up and rotate it and use that. or have a normal map with your pre-warped directions as a normal map and warp it the same way as your lines.

yes, substance can scatter shapes precisely on top of whatever you want, but your mask needs to be perfect for the result you want.
Hey divi, thanks for the reply.
Im not sure you are right about the quoted part tho. Becouse no matter the mask i input, the positions of the splattered shapes remain exactly the same as they are before mask is applied. Only thing that changes, is which one gets masked out (hidden). WHat im asking for is to position them on some form of paths. Paths can be calculated to go along what resembles lines on a black and white input. There is already code in Designer than could be used to help generate such paths (but thats rally not the issue, we can feed thin lines ourselves), but what is missing is the ability to guide how the shapes are positioned. Of course the more and the smaller the splattered shapes are the more precise effect we can achieve right now, but with larger scarcer shapes its a "no go", cause their center points will at most cases be off the paths we would like them to be splattered on.

If im wrong, please let me know what node influences the position of splattered shapes (insetad of influencing which are hidden/shown)

P.S.
Im not interested at this point in orientation you mentioned (if you mean the rotation of the shapes), just the position they are placed on, cause thats the thing i dont see any tools can affect. Only thing that i see as a roadblock right now, is that nothing affects the splattered shapes position other than its own settings (independent from the inputs), what we can affect is only their visibility.
Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 10:15:13 am

i might not have been clear enough with what i meant. if you set the x and y amount in your tile sampler to the resolution of your image you spawn a shape for every pixel of your image. if your mask is precise enough and accounts for your splattered object's desired size you can spawn whatever shape precisely where you want to.

i might not have been clear enough with what i meant. if you set the x and y amount in your tile sampler to the resolution of your image you spawn a shape for every pixel of your image. if your mask is precise enough and accounts for your splattered object's desired size you can spawn whatever shape precisely where you want to.

Thanks for explanation how to aproach this.
The settings for mask and the effect i was getting previously were puzzling. Now with your explanation it all makes sense and works pretty well :)

With some adjustments i will be able to get exactly what i needed. Thanks!

p.s.
And now... now i will start digging into the orientation part in case i will want to have it splattered on some more crazy lines :P