Author Topic: 3D Perlin Noise resolution bug when exporting to .sbsar  (Read 838 times)

Hello, I made a simple graph in designer that uses 3D Perlin Noise, but when I exported the graph to an .sbsar file to be used in painter, it looks extremely low resolution.

Here's my setup, and the result in Designer.


Here's what it looks like in Painter:


At first I thought it was something I was doing wrong in painter, but here's the same sbsar file in substance player:


Also, the nodes are properly set up to use parent size, and not absolute, here's an example with normal 2D perlin noise handled the exact same way but red, so you can see that it's definitely the 3D perlin noise itself:


And finally, here's what it looks like when I export the .sbsar file from designer BACK into designer, and output it


I'm not sure what's going on here, but there seems to be a bug that occurs when a 3D perlin noise node is read in from an .sbsar file, but if it's not a bug and something I'm overlooking, I'd love to know how to work around it!

I figured it out, it turns out it was because the input node for the position map was set to 8 bits, giving it the illusion of being low resolution, but it was fidelity of the position data being lost that caused the pixelation. It seems unintuitive that that aspect isn't reflected in the original substance designer proj, but only when you export to an .sbsar, leading me to think there was some bug with .sbsar exporting, or one of the substance programs- since I would expect the way substances are rendered out to look identical across the software.