Author Topic: [Tile Generator] Getting more distribution randomization out your pattern inputs  (Read 107 times)

What are some ways you guys go about maximizing the randomization of your pattern inputs in the tile generator?

I've been teaching myself Designer for the past year, and I seem to always run into an issue where identical patterns will distribute side by side occasionally throughout the tile when I use random distribution. To get rid of this, I usually use a checker mask, duplicate the generator, then offset with a different seed. With Designers versatility though, I feel like there has got to be a better way.

I've been looking into functions, but I'm a novice, and still don't comprehend the meaning of most of the FX nodes.  :-X

Our random number generation is uniform, meaning that all values are equitably distributed. So there is an equal chance to have the same pattern next to another than having a different one.

The Tile Sampler has a "Distribution Map" input, were the pixel value will determine the pattern. You could create a checker like image (and add a little bit carefully chosen random values) to drive your distribution.
Product Manager - Allegorithmic

The FX nodes are pretty simple to get started with. Just add some quadrant nodes,  link them up vertically, set the top one as the root (context menu), and set up the shape type of the bottom most one. Think of the four connectors at the bottom as the four corners of the image. If you plug a quadrant into just one connector,  it will show that quadrant's image in a single corner. Having a bunch of them chained up is just a way to duplicate the shape a bunch of times.

I haven't done this, but I think you can also randomly choose between inputs as your shapes, which would give you full control over the pattern distribution. Just add a function to the shape type and set the output to a random number within your correct range. I'm not in front of a PC right now, but I'm pretty sure this should be possible. Unless the shape pattern input selector is one of those few things that are hard coded.

The other FX nodes are just for conditional branching and looping/iterating. Just use quadrants until you get familiar.