Author Topic: What Parts of Alchemist Are Not Ready for Production?  (Read 1372 times)

I'm wondering what the following comment on the Alchemist splash page means?:

"Note: Project Substance Alchemist still in development. We do not recommend using it for production yet."

Does this mean that the maps that Alchemist produces are not production ready or does it mean something else?  My goal is to produce 4K maps that I import into Cinema 4D and use to produce Redshift materials. 

Thanks!

I imagine it means like any software that is in Beta development, features might not be completely finished or even functioning correctly, hence the warning not to use it in production scenarios.

I've found it to be quite solid actually and I've exported dozens of 4K res images and then rendered scenes with Octane.

https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,28581.0.html

I imagine you'd have no problem doing the same with Redshift.

Sweet renders, Irradiance Cache!

Thanks for your response.  Since it doesn't say Beta anywhere, I didn't know that Alchemist is still in Beta. 

In my limited experience with Alchemist, it has been completely stable and a joy to work with...definitely "a sand box that's hard to climb out of."  It's clearly missing some important features, but I imagine it will become more robust with time.

Would any Allegorithmic engineers care to comment on this?  I'm still curious.  Thanks!

Substance Alchemist is still in beta.
If you manage to use it that's find, but we wouldn't recommend to use it for a full pipeline as the data format may change, it may crash, you may lose your projects, etc. For example it's not possible for the moment to transfer your materials between computers.
But, if you are happy with the exported maps, feel free to use them!

Cheers,
Head of Product Management

Thanks so much for responding, Nicolas.  This helps a lot!

Nicolas, when you say that the data format may change, if this happens, will this mean that my .json files may be rendered useless?

Also, can you please point me toward a forum where I can share suggestions for improvements to Alchemist?

Thanks!

Nicolas, when you say that the data format may change, if this happens, will this mean that my .json files may be rendered useless?
Unless you keep a version of Alchemist that can open them, yes.

Also, can you please point me toward a forum where I can share suggestions for improvements to Alchemist?
https://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/forums/911713-substance-alchemist and here

Thanks for sharing the link, Cyrille!  I've already made several suggestions.

I don't have much experience with beta software, so I'm wondering if you think there will be a conversion tool available to convert the .json files to the new format once it is available?

Is there a timeline for when Alchemist will come out of beta?

Hello.

We'll stick to JSON for now.  We're also trying to keep compatibility between different versions of alchemist for transitioning from one version to another as smooth as possible.  But we can't guarantee 100% we will always be able to do so.

There's still much to implement in alchemist and we're not sure how long it will take, so we cannot give out a deadline when it will come out of beta yet.