Author Topic: Material preview thumbnail as icon (for .sbsar file)  (Read 75 times)

Hello,

I think it would be very neat if we had the option to make the icon of an .sbsar file to be a thumbnail preview of the material it contains, at the moment of publication (instead of using exactly the same icon as the Substance Player software).

The snapshot of the material should be taken with default lighting on a transparent background and the viewport view being reset. The icon shouldn't waste space on the material and fit it as big as possible.
We could even choose what the 3D model could be from a drop-down list (sphere, cube, plane, high res plane with tesselation enabled, fabric cloth layed down on a sphere...)
And maybe put a small 'S' icon in the lower corner so we know it's a substance. Here's how it could like like with a sphere...

If enabled, this material thumbnail icon should be automatically generated every time we publish a .sbsar, ensuring the icon is up to date with the .sbs material.

This would be beneficial in the sense that we could pick our materials at a glance when choosing to work with them (when not in a library), and also standardize the icons of the materials among every user.

PS: I checked the "Enable Icon" checkbox from the archive publish options and tried putting an image in the icon slot from the graph properties > attributes. But nothing changed... Or maybe I didn't do it the right way...

Thanks.