Author Topic: Unity substance asset 2.2.2 destroys the prefabs, dangerous!  (Read 413 times)

Unity substance asset 2.2.2 is dangerous, I cannot recommend it to anyone. Just by re-importing parts of the project can lead to broken prefabs. I had this issue now 2 times. I will use an older substance asset version and will stay with net core 3.5. The message comes up with the issue the prefab has been serialized with the newer version in unity 2018.3.0f2 and in 2018.3.9f1.

And it still does unfortunately (It seems it tries to touch every prefab for some reason, it even modifies scenes on disk that don't even contain substances; it's as if it tries some kind of name-matching for assets). I hope allegorithmic can get it fixed soon. It's been in beta for far too long now.

Hi,

We are trying to find the issue that is causing this. Would you be able to please provide a project file? We can't seem to reproduce this issue and pinpoint the bug with our internal testing. If you can please provide us with some repro steps and project file we will be able to get this resolved ASAP.

If you are interested, I can also add you to our private beta for testing new builds.

Re importing parts of the project:
Is this reimporting sbsar files or other content that is used in a prefab?

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

I wanted to create a reproduction project, but interestingly i wasn't even able to import the sbsar at all.
Attached is the sbsar and the log errors

(SD 2018.3.4, Unity 2018.4.0f1; newest plugin from the asset store)
Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 04:00:44 pm

I wanted to create a reproduction project, but interestingly i wasn't even able to import the sbsar at all.
Attached is the sbsar and the log errors

(SD 2018.3.4, Unity 2018.4.0f1; newest plugin from the asset store)

Thank you for posting these files. Would you be open to join our private beta?

Just to make sure I understand, do you have a project that is breaking prefabs? The file you posted is an sbsar file that will not import into Unity? I checked the sbsar file with the latest plugin and didn't have any issues importing or working with the sbsar file.

Can you please provide the following:
- The Unity version(s) at play (does the bug happens when updating Unity...)
- The Substance plugin version(s) (does the bug happens when updating our plugin)
- If the bug occurs when importing a data package: was the package generated with our plugin, or the old one?

Cheers,
Wes

Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 05:45:50 am

Hi Wes, any update on that unity substance link causing unity scenes and prefabs to break, seems a lot of people are having issue with it over the last few days. Ive a million euro project here and substance is part of my workflow, I,m terrified my months of hard work destroyed.

Cheers, Sean McDermott

Hi Wes, any update on that unity substance link causing unity scenes and prefabs to break, seems a lot of people are having issue with it over the last few days. Ive a million euro project here and substance is part of my workflow, I,m terrified my months of hard work destroyed.

Cheers, Sean McDermott

Hi Sean,

We have made some great progress! We have found the issue. Thankfully one of our beta testers was able to provide us with a scene that helped up find the issue. The problem stems for the Asset Serialization setting in the Unity Preferences. If the setting is changed from the default value of force text to binary or mixed then it will break the prefab it the asset was built using an older package that used binary asset serialization. We are implementing the fix for this now.

Would you be interested in joining our private beta on our Discord Server? Please let me know and I can add you.

Cheers,
Wes