Author Topic: import from the Zbrush  (Read 17322 times)

hi

how do I import a model with "multiple subtools" Zbrush for the substance painter?

these "multiple subtools" the Zbrush will appear as layers in substance painter?

thank you

Your subtools need to have UVs and a different material on each if you want to have different texture sets for each in Painter.

Your subtools need to have UVs and a different material on each if you want to have different texture sets for each in Painter.

how should i save all subtools a Zbrush file to open it in Substance painter?

how should i save all subtools a Zbrush file to open it in Substance painter?

Hi,

You need to save them as OBJ from ZBrush. As mentioned above, you will need to have UV as well.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

you did not understand my question

how do I import a file with "more than one SubTool", sculpted in Zbrush for the substance painter?

thank you

I would export the subtools as obj´s, import them to a 3D software like maya; then apply different materials for each obj, then select all and export as fbx

now SP will give you a texture set for each "subtool"

I wonder if there is a way to prepare a zbrush model to be treated the same way in SP. Would be nice, if we could apply different polygroups or materials in ZBrush, and then let SP recognize them the same way it does when using the worfklow described above.

I have a question concerning this. 

It's mentioned that some material information needs to be there.  So can I just use the Diffuse channel to colorize the parts of the obj's surfaces or do I need like a tiled texture for that to work? 

I have a Poet's Shirt I made for a soon to  be released character from Hivewire... so this shirt has multiple surfaces (collar, trims, the tie cord and so on).  The shirt is saved out with the "surfaces" created but the UV's don't have all those areas separated out.  When imported into DAZ Studio though, under the surfaces tab all the areas are there so I can turn them off via the opacity channel.

So if I colorize them will that be enough for Substance painter? 

Never worked with FBX exporter either.  DAZ Studio does have one but not sure if "industry standard" or not!

Thanks,
Richard
---Wolff On The Prowl---

@ RamWolff   Yep that should be enough.

You could have one UV island but 10 materials attached to it, it should still work.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Muezli.com with yoghurt and lots of fresh fruits.

Thanks so much Ron.  I appreciate the response.   :D
---Wolff On The Prowl---

you did not answer my question clearly:

I have a model in ZBrush with several subtools and when I saved it in Zbrush he saves a SubTool for .obj file.

how do I save in zbrush and open in Substance painter this whole model several subtools?

one more question

Substance is normal in the brush painter draws the stroke that I made with a little lag?

the model I'm painting has 100,000 points.
how do I solve this problem?

Thanks
Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 07:17:31 pm

I have a model in ZBrush with several subtools and when I saved it in Zbrush he saves a SubTool for .obj file.

how do I save in zbrush and open in Substance painter this whole model several subtools?

one more question

Substance is normal in the brush painter draws the stroke that I made with a little lag?

Thanks

Hi,

You will need to combine the sub tools into one file. You can merge visible and then export as a single OBJ. Substance Painter can't  import more than one obj into a single project. Substance Painter breaks up the object into texture sets which are created by material IDs. I don't think there is a way to export polygroups as materials in ZBrush. So, you need to open the model in a modeling program where you can assign material IDs to sections you want to appear as a single texture set in Substance Painter.

In terms of slow down, can you send us the mesh so we can take a look?

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

one more question

Thanks

Hi,

You will need to combine the sub tools into one file. You can merge visible and then export as a single OBJ. Substance Painter can't  import more than one obj into a single project. Substance Painter breaks up the object into texture sets which are created by material IDs. I don't think there is a way to export polygroups as materials in ZBrush. So, you need to open the model in a modeling program where you can assign material IDs to sections you want to appear as a single texture set in Substance Painter.

Cheers,

Wes

the model is a sphere made in Zbrush

divided by 103 points

four slice polygroups

and mapped by: Zplugin> UVmaster.

one more question

Thanks

Hi,

Cheers,

Wes

the model is a sphere made in Zbrush

divided by 103 points

four slice polygroups

and mapped by: Zplugin> UVmaster.

That mesh resolution should be fine. What resolution are you painting at in the document settings? Also, what is the quality setting for the viewport?

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

tested with a sphere of 8300 points and also this slow.

I think I found the problem:

I'm with Zbrush and Substance painter open.

closed Zbrush and seems to have overcome this problem of speed

you think this is?

google chrome seems that slows the Substance Painter too, closed it and improved.

you believe the Tuneup Utilities may be slowing the Painter too?

Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 08:18:50 pm