Author Topic: 3DS Max 2020 Substance Integration  (Read 7577 times)

Many of the improvements are close to done. I think at this point it is better to wait while we're developing for it. Now that the Maya 2.0.0 plugin is close to release, we have revisited 2.1.2 and will have 2.2.0 instead. I think some of the improvements there are too important to have a release one week, and another a few weeks later, especially compatibility with Substance Designer 2019.1. This next week will be the final week of work for 2.2.0.

The timeline has nothing to do with the Adobe acquisition. We've had heavy work on the Unity, Unreal Engine 4 and Maya integrations, which has affected it the most.
Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 05:42:06 am
Software Engineer, Integrations
Maya, 3ds Max and Core Libraries

Many of the improvements are close to done. I think at this point it is better to wait while we're developing for it. Now that the Maya 2.0.0 plugin is close to release, we have revisited 2.1.2 and will have 2.2.0 instead. I think some of the improvements there are too important to have a release one week, and another a few weeks later, especially compatibility with Substance Designer 2019.1. This next week will be the final week of work for 2.2.0.

The timeline has nothing to do with the Adobe acquisition. We've had heavy work on the Unity, Unreal Engine 4 and Maya integrations, which has affected it the most.

Hello Galen  !

Can you confirm that plans are to release long awaited 2.x this week ?

Thanks !

The plans are to finish it this week. It will still require testing and verification for 3ds Max 2018, 2019 and 2020 after that to ensure it's ready. I think next week is more likely. We're actively working on the release, and plan to have it out when it is ready.
Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 03:07:48 pm

I read in the release notes that 2.1.1 has support for Silent Install, yet /SILENT does not work. Is this planned for 2.2.0?

The 2.1.1 plugin does do silent install, but I don't think /SILENT is the right flag. I believe it should be /S or /SD.

We're switching to an MSI format for 2.2.0, which you should be able to install silently using Microsoft's tools for that.

I've not tested it yet, but some of the changes in 2.2.0 may also make it easier to move outside of the current install location. It's at least moving in this direction if still not feasible.
Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 03:17:23 am

I thought I had tried /S previously for silent install with no luck.
Then I discovered: If it has never been installed before, /S will work.

But if it has been installed before, a pop up will stating:
"SubstanceMax for 3ds Max 2018 is already installed."
"Do you want to uninstall the old version before installing the new one?"
Yes No

Even if I answer Yes to Uninstall, I will still get the popup if I try to install with the /S option again.
It appears it does not actually uninstall using this method.
I would think that a silent install would simply overwrite previous installation.
It's not silent if it breaks a batch file because it was installed once before.
If I go to Programs and Features and uninstall from there, then I'm able to perform a silent install again.

Yes, there are some issues with the current installer. With an MSI, it should be easier to manage using msiexec, I can create some examples when it is released.

They will also be split differently by version instead of a single installer, so the plugin for 3ds Max 2018, 2019 and 2020 will each have different MSI packages.

The current installer system isn't doing what we need it to, so it needed to be changed.

Substance for max 2020 is live now. Seems like not a big deal for Adobe company as no announcement was made.
Nevertheless, artists using max appreciate that. Thank You.

https://www.substance3d.com/integrations/substance-in-3ds-max

There is a stickied post now for 2.2.0. More communications may come later, but it was made clear to us that releasing sooner was more important.