Author Topic: Smart Materials Not Applying Correctly  (Read 3452 times)

I was working on a Prop in SP. I wanted to make some modifications to the Model during the painting process. To preserve my work I created a Smart material. After making the necessary modifications to the mesh I started a new SP Project, imported my  Model and applied the smart materials I had created earlier. But the material did not apply correctly and all my brush strokes were off position

To clarify. I did not change or modify the materials and UV's of the existing mesh. I just added more details i.e extra parts and gave them new materials. Also I rotated the Model a bit before exporting it.

What can I do to fix this ?

Smart Materials require that you have certain maps, so make sure you bake first.
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

I generally only bake the Normal Maps. The rest I dont i.e World Space Normals, Curvature etc. So do I bake them all then ??? Before creating a smart material ??

I generally only bake the Normal Maps. The rest I dont i.e World Space Normals, Curvature etc. So do I bake them all then? Before creating a smart material?

Not all the smart materials actually use all the baked maps, but a lot of them do. You should always bake all the maps, or most smart materials will not work as expected.

If you re-import a modified mesh you need to re-bake all the maps. Manual paint strokes cannot be preserved when you change the mesh, there is no way to fix this. Make sure your model is final before you start texturing it using manual painting.
Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 06:18:18 pm

If you re-import a modified mesh you need to re-bake all the maps.

Thank You so much for clarifying this.

Manual paint strokes cannot be preserved when you change the mesh, there is no way to fix this. Make sure your model is final before you start texturing it using manual painting.

I'll Keep that in Mind.

Thanks Again for all the Help. Been stuck at this for a while now.

Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 07:33:52 pm