Author Topic: Substance doesn't work with 4.5 Preview Build  (Read 8959 times)

Can someone upload the recompiled plugin files for the 4.5 preview build please?
Here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/6dobub6weumj1gq/Plugins_450_Preview.zip?dl=1
It's the Windows plugin compiled to work with the 4.5.0 preview. It's not official, we will have an official support once the true 4.5.0 is live.

Failed. "Module 'SubstanceCore' does not appear to be compatible with the current version of the engine. May need to be recompiled"

Ha ! I'm using the 4.5.0 preview from github, therefore you get a mismatch from the launcher version. Sorry about that.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

We have both, but let's just focus on the Blueprints, as only one of my guys is working with C++.

I certainly don't want to go the compile route as we've had nothing but problems in the past with other elements within UE4 when we have. Will Substance in the future be able to work with game instead of just the editor? Is there a workaround that doesn't require us to compile anything?

The only thing you need to compile is substance, as long as it's in your game project. But it will have to be compiled for packaged builds. UE4 Editor compiles all plugins as dll's but for game builds they are static libraries that are linked into your final exe, so instead of having a SubstanceCore.dll it just gets compiled into your Game.exe .

The only thing you need to compile is substance, as long as it's in your game project. But it will have to be compiled for packaged builds. UE4 Editor compiles all plugins as dll's but for game builds they are static libraries that are linked into your final exe, so instead of having a SubstanceCore.dll it just gets compiled into your Game.exe .

Can you provide a working example? Here's a simple scenario, I've placed the Substance plugin in my main UE4 install for use in the editor, then I launch UE4 and create my project that is stored in its unique directory, add meshes and substance - really simple setup, now I want to launch that level - NOT package it yet, just launch it, this is where it fails. But if I understand you, I have to "compile" something for the game or UE4 compiles it, so do I need to place particular Substance files in the project separate from my main editor install?

Are you building UE4 from github or the unreal launcher?

If you are launching UE4 from the unreal launcher, you don't want to put the plugin in your UE4 install directory. Here are the steps I recommend from the Unreal Launcher:

- Launch UE 4.4.3
- Create a new "Basic Code" project
- Close Visual Studio when it loads
- Extract plugin zip into your UE4 Project Folder (mine is C:\Users\Josh\Documents\Unreal Projects\TestProjUnity)
- Double Click your project uproject file
- Say yes when asked to recompile project modules

From here your project can be launched as desired. If you are using the Unreal Launcher, but placing the plugin in the UE4 engine folder, I don't think it knows how to find the plugin.

Are you building UE4 from github or the unreal launcher?

If you are launching UE4 from the unreal launcher, you don't want to put the plugin in your UE4 install directory. Here are the steps I recommend from the Unreal Launcher:

- Launch UE 4.4.3
- Create a new "Basic Code" project
- Close Visual Studio when it loads
- Extract plugin zip into your UE4 Project Folder (mine is C:\Users\Josh\Documents\Unreal Projects\TestProjUnity)
- Double Click your project uproject file
- Say yes when asked to recompile project modules

From here your project can be launched as desired. If you are using the Unreal Launcher, but placing the plugin in the UE4 engine folder, I don't think it knows how to find the plugin.

Hey Josh thanks for the instructions I was able to load 4.5 just fine using your last post.

Since I had to make a new basic code project and I don't code, none of my projects are made with the basic code template, transferring all the assets into a basic code project would be quite annoying. Is it possible to install the plug in into the UE4 engine folder so I don't have to install it every time I make a new project?

Hey Josh thanks for the instructions I was able to load 4.5 just fine using your last post.

Since I had to make a new basic code project and I don't code, none of my projects are made with the basic code template, transferring all the assets into a basic code project would be quite annoying. Is it possible to install the plug in into the UE4 engine folder so I don't have to install it every time I make a new project?

And what about other users in the office? Do we have to set this up in the same manner for all UE4 engineers?

Will this method always be the case?

Will all users working with UE4 who want to integrate Substance be forced to work with this process?

If I don't have to do this for Oculus, Speedtree, or other plugins, why for Substance?

I need Substance to not ONLY work in the Editor, it HAS to work in game too!

You can place it in the engine folder; but the Unreal Launcher may delete the files when it does a 'verify' step. It tends to do this when new updates are released.

And what about other users in the office? Do we have to set this up in the same manner for all UE4 engineers?

Will this method always be the case?

Will all users working with UE4 who want to integrate Substance be forced to work with this process?

If I don't have to do this for Oculus, Speedtree, or other plugins, why for Substance?

I need Substance to not ONLY work in the Editor, it HAS to work in game too!

The most appropriate method is to place the plugin into your Unreal Project folder, not the engine folder. Can it work in a pinch? yes. But you won't be able to build game builds with it there. I'd also emphasize that if you are working on a team project it's even more important to put the plugin into your Unreal project folder.