Author Topic: so indie licence cannot try alchemist?  (Read 610 times)

I have both designer and painter indie licence since 2015,and up grade till now.
but i could not see any download button, so is beta just for monthly payment users or i just missing somthing.

Subscription only at this point.
James Baxter!

thanks, waiting for final release then  :'(.

Has there been an announcement that Alchemist will ever be available outside of subscription?

Allegorithmic was a great company that really cared about the Substance community, but I'm afraid that the acquisition by Adobe may be ruining all that.

Hopefully not. Time will tell.

Looks like they even abandoned the forums, theres a lot of people with unanswered questions, and no staff anywhere

CMC

Looks like they even abandoned the forums, theres a lot of people with unanswered questions, and no staff anywhere
Are you aware that they are really busy this week? Some of them are at the GPU Technology in San Jose, some of them are at the GDC in San Francisco. The latter is the biggest event in the professional game industry, it takes a lot of time to prepare, and now during the event, they maybe won't have much time. Let's be patient, the GDC ends tomorrow and next week the guys are back.

Some have been in the forums and answered some of the questions that are lingering. This was just them opening the BETA to a bit more people (and they have said they will slowly add more groups over time) So first private BETA, then opening the BETA to Subscribers (as that is part of a perk of subscription), and then they will open the BETA to more people. (I read it somewhere around here in relation to a similar question someone else asked) So just because the BETA was opened to the "next group" doesn't really mean anything other than they just opened it up to the next smaller group to tweak more before adding more people (or at least if I am understanding the replies I've seen correctly) As someone else mentioned it is a busy time etc with different trade type shows going on etc so I am sure that is what is causing the slight delays in replies.
Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:03:50 am

Nicolas answered here: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,28337.0.html#msg110471

There is nothing there that explicitly states that Alchemist will eventually be available to Indie or Perpetual license holders.  It just restates the marketing pitch for the subscription model.  The fact that the core question of that thread is not addressed in a straightforward manner is pretty disconcerting.

Quite Adobe-esque. :-\

Nicolas answered here: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,28337.0.html#msg110471

There is nothing there that explicitly states that Alchemist will eventually be available to Indie or Perpetual license holders.  It just restates the marketing pitch for the subscription model.  The fact that the core question of that thread is not addressed in a straightforward manner is pretty disconcerting.

Quite Adobe-esque. :-\

In fairness (while I get the hesitation and you can see some of my replies on this forum in that regard) they haven't said they were going to a Subscription only model either (so both are an assumption) and over the last few days there has been discussion on Perpetual licenses (in general - not specific to Alchemist) I am a big "I want to be able to get Perpetual" person. I have not upgraded from Adobe Design and Web Premium CS6 for that very reason. I cannot afford to endlessly pay for something that I can lose when I may need it most (when contracts slow or funds get tight in between projects or when a project takes longer to complete or get paid for etc). That said, Allegorithmic has never done anything to disappoint me thus far. I've been so happy with them in fact that for the first time ever in my life I actually did get a Subscription (for here) Between the added value it gave and the fact you could get Perpetual licenses from it...I decided to go ahead and so far Ive not been disappointed. For me, at the moment, I'm trying to give Allegorithmic/Adobe a chance. I get being skeptical but I'd give them a chance (knowing what a positive role Allegorithmic has had especially for smaller companies I personally feel they have earned that much). As for this BETA, it doesn't add to or detract from what they are going to do either way. That said somewhere here on the site they did make an announcement on Perpetual Licensing that did put (at least my mind) at ease some.

Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 03:22:54 am

From here:
https://www.allegorithmic.com/blog/substance-team-joins-adobe-family-update

These future offerings will be primarily subscription-based, but we will continue to offer indie perpetual licenses. We believe that when the content and services offered in a subscription package evolve and improve at a steady pace, the subscription model is the best way for us to innovate fast, continuously improve your tools, and bring you more value.

Granted that doesn't say much or discuss specifically "what" they will still offer perpetual on (other then Indie in general..which could mean all Indie or only specific IDK) but it does show at least some thought into trying to keep it as an option.

From here:
https://www.allegorithmic.com/blog/substance-team-joins-adobe-family-update

These future offerings will be primarily subscription-based, but we will continue to offer indie perpetual licenses. We believe that when the content and services offered in a subscription package evolve and improve at a steady pace, the subscription model is the best way for us to innovate fast, continuously improve your tools, and bring you more value.

Granted that doesn't say much or discuss specifically "what" they will still offer perpetual on (other then Indie in general..which could mean all Indie or only specific IDK) but it does show at least some thought into trying to keep it as an option.

I guess we will see,  if they went FULL sub only, and did not allow us to buy it..I would be gone, I left Adobe before and Auto Desk due to that, as I been a long time user of Substance, Auto Desk and Adobe, but if they pull that nonsense and do sub only, I would drop Substance....  and I know many others that would as well..... Substance needs to understand indie companies, need to be able to buy software ....and have it at any given time....we can't sub part time, and can't afford to be paying  x 10 more..... just because Adobe is greedy..  This is what is ruining both Adobe now and Auto Desk and they know it....   if the cost was the problem charge more for it.... but to have sub only, is crazy,  we cant do business that way..