Author Topic: Unusual sound coming from desktop when adjusting sliders.  (Read 682 times)

Hey everyone, I don't know if anyone has had a similar issue, but whenever I am using Substance Designer, and I make parameter changes to nodes, I get this unusual quiet beeping or "short-circuiting" sound coming from what I think is my graphics card. I have a GTX 1060 so it shouldn't have any issues running the software. Unusually enough as well, I only experience this sound when using the software. Games don't cause an issue, other software don't cause an issue.

Although it doesn't inhibit my texture making at all, it does concern me and would hopefully like to figure out what is going on with my computer or the software.

I have a feeling that is your graphics card writing to short or long term memory, or manipulating some type of data. I've noticed the same thing on one of my PCs while using this software. I don't think it is anything to worry about. These programs use a lot of memory and make the GPU work pretty hard.

I guess it depends on how loud the sound is. Mine was barely noticeable, and could only be heard when it was very quiet. It sounded a bit like scraping a flap of plastic across metal very softly as I moved the slider adjusters.
Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 12:15:35 pm

I get exactly the same sort of thing if the rear inputs on my system are active, whistles, sqeaks and all sorts while I work. If i turn off the "rear input-Blue" on my soundcard, they go away. As a result, I've a small batch file which activates and dactives it only when I'm recording my guitar.

Same. On 1070 8gb. Other soft with a lot of using memory didn't do this effect. Any official comments ?

Hi all!

This is a common electrical problem.

When triggering intense computations in short bursts – such as tweaking a slider in Substance Designer – this power burst can bleed into the system's sound output because of electro-magnetic insulation issues, or straight up be directly audible.
More generally, the electro-magnetic activity of the system can sometimes result in undesired audible phenomenon, such as coil whine.

I hope this is informative!

Best regards,
Luca
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team