Author Topic: 16bit TIFF needed for multi angle textures  (Read 1467 times)

I'm currently scanning material with my new material scanner and process the photo's I make through Lightroom for white balancing and color correction. After that, I save the images as TIFFs in 16bit format te preserve a lot of light information. But these files are big and also take a lot of time to open and process in Substance Designer, so my question is, does Substance Designer need 16bit images to process the multi-angle images correctly? Or can I also save PNG's or even JPEG's from Lightroom and have the same quality? In the end, I just save jpegs from SD.

You don't need that actually! Allegorithmic demonstrated how to make a material scanner with a smart phone. The materials look fantastic and they clearly do not come out in 16-bit TIFF format
"Better than some, no worse than others."

No actually in one of the last steps, before going into SD, they save all the images to TIFFs.

Using jpeg is not advised: it's a lossy format and can store only 8bit data per channel.

Disabling the compression for the tiff file will speed up the encoding/decoding process. You can use png as well as it support 16bit.
Product Manager - Allegorithmic

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. Using a 16bit format results in better quality images.

Also good tip about not using compression on the TIFF files.  8)