Author Topic: Support for RTX cards?  (Read 3234 times)

I have just bought an RTX2080 and expected to get improved performance with Painter. Surprisingly it seems to be about the same as my old GTX970. Were my expectations unrealistic?

You should definitely get better performance, especially with large projects.You will also soon be able to leverage the RTX for baking.

You should definitely get better performance, especially with large projects.You will also soon be able to leverage the RTX for baking.

But for painter and designer Vram is still most important feature of gpu right?
I mean you are baking once  , and then work for most of a time on painting and rotating complex object
So smoother faster viewport is all about vram and cpu I think.

Vram and processing power of the GPU, both the Substance Painter and Substance Designer texture processing and blending engines being 100% GPU based.

Vram and processing power of the GPU, both the Substance Painter and Substance Designer texture processing and blending engines being 100% GPU based.

Texture processing and blending engine are directly calculated with CUDA cores right?
So more cuda cores and more their frequency is better .

No, we are not using CUDA, good old OpenGL.

If you use OpenGL , then what part in GPU are responsible for painter designer speed ?
I mean speed of painting , ability of handling dense objects (several objects at same time)
you said "Vram and processing power of the GPU" are most important.
What part is responsible for higher "Processing power" in terms of Nvidia GPUs (if CUDA has to do nothing for painter/designer)
At which part of GPU specification should I look when purchasing any new nvidia card ?
Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 03:01:29 pm

rda

Hey, Jeremie.  Any idea the time frame on this?

Thx @Jeremie Noguer,

I purchase a RTX 3090 and is not faster than my GTX 1080Ti
Iray is very noisy  :(

I was hoping for DLSS support. I want to learn more about the technical side.

Is it possible that Iray OpenGL does not support DLSS as a post-process,
or DLSS is only embedded in RTX raytracing?

Painter loos not growing any more like other years
Is there any intention from Algotimic to take the profit from RTX in 2021?

Is Algorithmic thinking to integrate a second rendering that uses RTX or DX12 raytracing?
So that we continue having a legacy Iray render button and the new RTX button.
because there will be no more GTX cards. NVIDIA goes only improving RTX.

thanks and regards,
Alan Mattano
SoaringStarsLab
www.artstation.com/mattano

Iray old good OpenGL | 2018: RTX raytracing + DLSS | 2021: using 3090 no RTX support

Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 04:11:59 pm