Author Topic: Substance Painter 2017.2 with Wacom Companion 2 = Black screen with menus  (Read 1769 times)

Hello,

When I launch Substance Painter on my Wacom Companion 2, the application seems to launch fine, but the screen stays black ( the menus are present as well as the various frames as the mouse icon changes when hovering above them ).

PFA the logs.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello,

Is there already an update on the issue ? Was there useful info in  the logs ?

Let me know how I can help to fix this bug.

Regards

Hey, I'll raise this to the QA team.
Meanwhile, double check with Wacom as well, if other users encounter this issue ;)

Hi RubberLittle,

From your log file I can see that you are running on the integrated GPU Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics 6100 with only 128 MB of VRam.
To solve that issue, please follow this steps:

1- Control Panel > Power Options > And switch to "High performance" 
2- Control Panel > NVIDIA Control Panel > Global Settings > Preferred graphics processor > And switch to " High-performance NVIDIA processor"

And to be sure, before the launch of Painter:
Right click on the Painter's Icon > Run with graphics processor > High-performance NVIDIA processor
*The last step shouldn't be necessary if you follow the previous steps ;)

Regards,
QA Analyst and Technical Artist at Allegorithmic

Hi,

Thanks for your response and sorry for the delay in my response, I was on holiday  :o

I tried your suggestions and here's the outcome :

> 1- Control Panel > Power Options > And switch to "High performance"
It was already using that setting.

> 2- Control Panel > NVIDIA Control Panel > Global Settings > Preferred graphics processor > And switch to " High-performance NVIDIA processor"
Are you sure you are not mixing with the "Wacom Mobile Studio" device ? I'm asking because the Companion 2 doesnt have a Nvidia GPU, only Intel ...

> Meanwhile, double check with Wacom as well, if other users encounter this issue
Well, that's a bit unfair for Wacom : I tried an "old" version of Substance Painter on my Wacom before buying it ( it was version 2.40 I think ... coming from a "grey" source before deciding to purchase the full software  :-[) and the software was working fine and displaying was working fine too ). The fact that it was working was the reason to buy the software now.

Its a bit puzzling : if Substance Designer does work fine on Companion 2, why cant I have Substance Painter working too ?

Does it mean that the version 2017 of Substance Painter means the end of compatibility with some of the Wacom product lines ? If it's the case then there should be an annoucement on your website/product page.

And Substance Painter is the only software suffering from that display problem : I use Photoshop, Blender, Zbrush, Krita, Substance Designer, Unreal Editor, Vegas Pro without any issues.

Regards

The integrated GPU on the Cintiq Companion 2 is not part of the range of GPUs we officially support. So unfortunately we can't guarantee that it will work properly with every new version of the tool.
Substance Painter does some very tricky stuff on the GPU side that Substance Designer doesn't, and so is much more sensible to GPU limitations.

Wacom Companion 2  GPU was not supported by Substance Painter , this is Unfortunately .

so you may can changed to the Graphics Tablet with Screen such as wacom cintiq or xp-pen Artist series . it should have no issue .

I Use a XP-Pen Artist 15.6 Pro Drawing Tablet With Screen
. because I already have a working PC, I only need graphic tablet monitor .
It prices in at $439 with a neat, optional adjustable stand. I just ordered one. Worth mentioning is that the resolution is 1920 x 1080, and features of 88% NTSC Color Gamput . no parallax .

the battery-free stylus has the 8000 levels of pressure sensitivity and support 60 degrees of pen tilt . Works beautifully, no lag when drawing .