Author Topic: 3D preview for SBS, but not SBSAR?  (Read 1463 times)

In my library, it seems that all SBS files are previewed with a nice spherical 3D preview, while SBS just shows what appears to be the baseColor of the substance. Is this an option I can change somewhere? Ideally I'd have 3D previews for SBSAR as well as SBS.

3D previews are not generated automatically in Designer at the moment, the 3d preview we display for the default library is actually pre rendered and stored as the graph thumbnail. So you'd have to do the same for your sbsar in order to have the preview in the 3d view (make sure you enable the "enable icon" option when publishing to sbsar.
Product Manager - Allegorithmic

Thanks. I mainly have SBSARs that I downloaded from Substance Source. I assume that if I only have the SBSAR, I won't be able to create the preview?

Is there a good place for me to recommend that the SBSARs downloaded from Substance Source contain these 3D Previews?

Or, actually, I should mention that Substance Painter shows a nice 3D preview for these SBSARs, but Designer does not. Is that just an extra feature they worked into Painter that doesn't exist in Designer?

Ideally the thumbnail should be stored inside the sbsar so that any application could display it.

At the moment the thumbnail is automatically generated inside some applications (Painter does it, Alchemist does it, differently).

So some unification has to be done on our side.

You can request the thumbnails to be inside the sbsar on the Source sub forum.
Product Manager - Allegorithmic

I am at a complete loss as to why you people would release products that simply don't work. I have Substance Alchemist, and it refuses to generate shelf thumbnails for anything, SBS, SBSAR, or otherwise! No thumbnails, and no 3D view for anything. Am I missing something, because I feel like I have wasted my money, and I can't find any forum that is able to solve my problem. There seems to be an awful lot of complaints among your three products regarding thumbnail caching not working. How are we supposed to use your products, if they don't do something as basic as this? And slooooooow! man.  >:(

I have Substance Alchemist, and it refuses to generate shelf thumbnails for anything, SBS, SBSAR, or otherwise! No thumbnails, and no 3D view for anything.

Hi,

First, sorry to see our software makes you so angry.

My first question is did you report your issue via the support?
Can you give me more context about the thumbnails problem?
Can you give me more context about the 3D viewport problem?

After answer to this basics, I will be happy to support you to make Alchemist working again.  :)

Guillaume
Quality Engineer
Alchemist User Manual
Alchemist release note