Author Topic: Procedurals and Seams - Help!  (Read 1604 times)

Hey everyone,

I'm new to texturing, but I'm only looking to do something simple (I think!).

I created a simple quad sphere in Maya and left the UV map in its default state. I then brought it into Substance Painter, and textured it with procedurals set to tri-planar projection. I managed to get it back into Arnold, but this is when I started noticing some real problems with visible seams.

Looking at it again in Substance, you can clearly see the issue with the seams - but I have no idea how to fix it! I've been trying to figure it out all day, and can't find any answers online.

Any help with this would be massively appreciated - I'm really pressed for time, and this is doing my head in!

Thank you so much!  :)
Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 09:45:29 pm

I already had that selected, I'm afraid, as I mentioned.  :(

Shit, I missed that. I'm guessing using the clone tool.

I did try using the clone tool, but I cannot for the life of me get it to do anything at all. I'm literally brand new to the software, so I'm not sure if I'm doing it right?

EDIT: Just managed to get it to work, but it has no effect on the normals it seems.
Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 10:28:03 pm

Did you make the normals layer pass through?

Yeah, I got the cloning tool to work, but it only affected the height/bump, and had no effect on the normals. :(

At the moment I'm just trying to place a seam down the back of the sphere instead... I can't figure out what else I can possibly do?

What material are you using?

UV vertices are touching the borders or have some clear space around them?

I'm just using the default material (PBR Metallic Roughness (allegorithmic) - I think this is what you mean?), and the map goes all the way to the edges because I don't know any different! Is that a problem?

It's the direction of the normals that are the real problem, though, and I still don't know if there's any fix for that.

For now, I've just changed the UV mapping to create a seam down the back, which seems to be a lot better.

Still, I'd love to know if there would be another solution! It's already been a frustrating journey into texturing, just one day in!  :)

Yes, it's "map goes all the way to the edges" that might give you problems. It might try to bleed texture outside UV-isle and since there is nowhere to go, it just wraps and overlap pixels on other side. Just a guess.
In general, it's a safer bet to leave a little space before border.

Try to downscale UV isle just a bit. And generate normal map again.