Author Topic: Substance crashes on startup  (Read 255 times)

Hello,
I can't get Substance Painter to open on my laptop, it just hangs. Substance Designer works ok.
I've tried adding the TdrDelay andTdrDdiDelay to the registry as described here
https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/spdoc/gpu-drivers-crash-with-long-computations-128745489.html
I've tried upgrading my graphics cards drivers and they all seem fine. I have a
Intel UHD Graphics 630
and
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
I am using a Cintiq as my second monitor.
I've also tried forcing Painter to use the NVIDIA graphics card.
I've tried reinstalling previous versions of Substance Painter and it didn't help.

Update - after reading some more posts I tried unplugging my cintiq, to force Painter to open on my laptop screen which worked.
Any ideas on how to work around this issue? (apart from unplugging my Cintiq everytime)

Regards,
Mark
Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 05:50:18 pm

Update - after reading some more posts I tried unplugging my cintiq, to force Painter to open on my laptop screen which worked.
Any ideas on how to work around this issue? (apart from unplugging my Cintiq everytime)
You will have to make sure Substance Painter starts on your laptop screen first and not on the Cintiq (which is handled by th Intel GPU). It's the only way on Windows to define which GPU should be used by the application.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Thanks for the response.
A colleague suggested making the cintiq my 'main display' in display settings in windows, I'm not sure how but that seems to work for now; Substance opens on the Cintiq and doesn't crash.