Author Topic: How to break the repetitive look of a seamless texture  (Read 394 times)

I managed to get the seamless texture on the UV tiles, now I'm faced with the repetitive look, e.g. the bright spot on the left left lane.
I'd like to break the repetitive look.
How would you add variation to individual texture set lists without making the UV tile border visible?
Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 01:33:25 pm

If you are trying to create a single segment of texture that will be reused on many modules of road, there is really no way to fix the tiling problem other than to use less obvious grunge/dirt patterns.

But if you are trying to vary the texture repetition as it continues down the road (using unique textures on all of the road), there are many ways to fix that. One method is to use multiple "grunge" layers on top of each other, at different scales. For example, your base layer would be your road paint, with no noise (just flat). Then add one grunge/noise effect on top of that, set to multiply/overlay/etc, at a scale of (something around) 2.0. Add a second grunge/noise on top of that at a scale of 1.0. Add another scaled at 0.5. And tweak the scaling as necessary to make it look good.

If you are in the first situation, you should also consider that your texture will look more repetitive farther away. Up close, it won't be so noticeable. You just have to keep tweaking your concrete noise until it looks less obvious from the distance the camera will be at.

A third option is to create 2 versions of each road type and randomly choose between them. 3 would be better. 4 even better. Etc.. All versions would need to be identical around the edges so they can connect.

One last idea - you can also create your road textures without much concrete noise at all in Painter, then blend a noise detail texture over all roads in your game/app/finished work, based on location, etc. This way, no two roads will look the same.
Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 04:49:15 pm

Those are GREAT advises, thanks.
It would be cool though, if Painter could add randomness variation each time the texture tiles. So, when you set your texture to repeat three times, each tile would have a different seed value (remembering to have the borders the same for every seed of course).