Author Topic: Why does height info look so different in Painter than Designer?  (Read 1431 times)

My guess is that in Substance Painter, the height map factors into shadows while it doesn't in Substance Designer. But I want to ask anyways.

This is the material I've been working on in Designer (EDIT: With Material Scale set to 1):

And this is the same material applied as a test in Painter:

It obviously looks quite different. I want to correct this discrepancy wherever it makes the most sense, so that it looks consistent still when I eventually bring it into Unity. Is this a matter of removing all of the fine grained detail from the height map, and just leaving it in normal?

Or do I need to change the strength of the height map in Painter? I haven't been able to figure out how to do this, even though I've seen some earlier threads talk about opacity sliders for individual channels. I haven't found them.
Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 06:13:14 pm

Make sure you don't have both the normal and height active at the same time in your fill alyer, that would double the strength of the details.
If the height is too strong, you can either reduce the opacity of the layer for the height channel, or simply add a Levels effect to your layer and adjut it there.

Okay, so this confirms that they work differently, which seems an odd way of setting up Designer -> Painter.

In Designer height is used for parallax occlusion or displacement via tessellation, but not for surface normals. And in Painter it's the exact opposite.

At the very least I think this is an extremely confusing way to go about things.

In Painter, you can use either one or the other, and soon height will also drive displacement in Painter.
It works this way in Painter because it's much easier to paint height data than normal data.

Thanks Jeremie. That makes a lot of sense, and I notice that you can create a displacement output in Designer that works the same way as height for driving displacement.