Author Topic: General PBR Metallic Question  (Read 148 times)

I have a general question about the realistic level of metallic on surfaces like painted metal and rust. Does paint (over metal) remove 100% of the metal level? If not, how does one estimate the level of metal loss?

If its all about reflecting light, I'm assuming the paint would completely change the metal level. But I'm just not sure I understand by how much. Maybe it depends on the type of paint? How much the paint allows light to penetrate to the surface? But does this modification completely eliminate metallic and just change it into glossiness/roughness?

I also have some questions about rust, but this is probably something I can figure out by researching rust itself.

Thanks for any advice!
Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 03:48:17 pm

It depends on the type and opacity of the paint. Some paint will have flakes and create a metallic reflection (like car paint), but as a general rule, painted metal should have a black metallic map.

So in general, most types of paint will remove 100% of the metallic level? Except transparent coatings and paint that actually includes metal in it? If not, how would one typically determine the metallic level that some random paint would allow through?

I've read in several places to only use 0 or 1 for metallic. I know this isn't an absolute rule, but wondered if it at least meant that painted metal would typically be zero.

For example, stuff like dumpsters, street lights, mail boxes, etc - they are usually painted metal. Really, if painted metal has a metallic level of zero, it doesn't leave a lot of metallic to paint on anything. Just the raw uncoated stuff, like on blades, and the occasional scratched edge. And I guess most vehicles? I don't know much about paint. I guess I need to research it a bit.

Thanks for the info!
Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 02:07:30 am