Author Topic: Using Substance Materials that include stitching  (Read 888 times)

I am trying to figure out how to use these new materials to but the seam and stitching what I want it.  I can't seem to figure out how to use some of these materials.  Some of the materials have stitching like for cars where the seam goes around a certain area.  I have been playing around with different ones for several hours and can't seam to figure out how to put this stitching in the design and position I want.

yeah I am not sure if there is an easy way to have a material show stitching in a particular are of a model all by itself (it would probably requrie going into Designer and doing something fancy and overly complicated).
My guess is that for stitching your best bet is still using Painter and having some sort of custom stitching brush with a steady stroke applied to it and doing it manually.
Either that or having your uvs line up with the stitch in your material, but that also sounds overly complicated.

There might be a way to bake the stitch material into a Painter brush and painting that instead?

The reason for my question is that I know how to do using the tools in Substance Painter.  My question comes from all the advertising about all these new materials but almost non of them come with any guidelines or tutorials.  I have seen video after video advertising the awesomeness of these new materials for vehicles, like rims, vents, and more specifically upholstery, where you can put in custom stitching using these materials but no information on how to accomplish this.  Seems like with the costs of this software that they would do a better job of this considering they are making these products and are part of the costs.  These aren't free materials. 

I agree about the lack of info regarding stitching placement. Some of them seem "built in", that is, basic cross / diamond. others, I get the impression you can apply them in certain areas. I saw a video of a seam being built in the UV Editor window, but they did not make clear precicely what they were doing to achieve it. If I had to guess, and a guess it is, I think they are applying a line / polygon shape which then forms the stitching. Again, a simple explanation of this process would help enourmously!

Yeah I saw in the video as well as they were placing stitching on a car seat and then indicate it is built into the material but then no explanation of how to do that.  I went through all the parameters and I found where I could place it using these scroll bars but not how to make it curve around.  Anybody now of a great group of stitching alphas.  I am trying to find one where two pieces of cloth come together and an internal stitch is applied.

I saw a video of a seam being built in the UV Editor window, but they did not make clear precicely what they were doing to achieve it.

Any chance you remember where you saw that and link it? I don't remember seeing that but it sounds cool!

Think this was it
https://alg-website.s3.amazonaws.com/uploaded-media/stitches_in_painter.mp4

Seems absolutely no-one knows how they went about this. Looking at the video it appears as if there should be some sort of "stitch" filter, but there's no such beast in the latest SP.  This is beyond frustrating!
Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 01:09:47 pm

Yes that is the video.

A stitch filter will be included in the next release of Substance Painter.

A stitch filter will be included in the next release of Substance Painter.

awesome!

That will fantastic.