Author Topic: Normal maps from Painter a super bright green and look weird in Unity  (Read 984 times)

Hi there,

I've been making some maps for a project I'm working on. They're not very complicated just some steel textures with rust. The normal maps that get generated however are weird as they are super bright green and make materials in Unity look weird!  :o

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  :P

hey, are they set as normal maps in the Unity settings ?

Yeah. :/

This only seems to happen in Painter when I'm using a simple plain shape.

What does the normal map file itself looks like in another software ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Hey, sorry for the late reply.

Same, really bright green which makes me think it's a Painter problem

Can you do this:

Make a video of you exporting your texture maps outside of painter with the settings showing. Go into the folder and view those maps to make sure they're not 'green'. Then make a new Unity project and import the object and normal map.

This will let us know if you're doing something wrong or not.

Here's all I'm doing in Painter. Unfortunately, neither GF Experience or Windows Game Bar records the export menu for some reason. I'm not choosing anything other than default settings though.

Normal map gets exported like this, here it is in Photoshop...

Actually, I think that video is useless to you. It doesn't record any of the overlay menus that pop up :(

Can you upload the Substance Painter file and I'll take a look.

Hi there, I've actually discovered something. This is only happening when I add the MatFX Rust Weathering filter!  :o

Doesn't matter what I do to a file if I add that filter the normal maps go green. If I remove it the normal maps look as they should!

Hi there, I've actually discovered something. This is only happening when I add the MatFX Rust Weathering filter!  :o

Doesn't matter what I do to a file if I add that filter the normal maps go green. If I remove it the normal maps look as they should!

Looks like that is the issue. Tried it myself and it does make the normal map green.

Interesting. Ok so I guess it's just a version bug?

Interesting. Ok so I guess it's just a version bug?

Report it as a bug in the software under Help -> Support -> Report Bug. (I think it is...)

If you put a new fill layer at the bottom of your layer stack, do you still have the issue even with the filter in the layer stack ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.