Author Topic: Seams from Mask Editor / Curvature - can they be removed?  (Read 290 times)

Hi all,

I'm getting seams from the UV islands when I use any mask w/ the curvature active.  Is this something that can be removed?  I've tried re-baking the curvature map in many different settings, but always with the same result.

Thanks!!

Can you post an image of your curvature map showing this area? Did you try increasing the dilation width in the global settings before baking it?

I had not, but I rebaked w/ dilation to 16 and 32, but did not see a change in the end result.

Map is here:  http://www.infinitypbr.com/files/minotar_set_curvature.png

Thanks!!

It's difficult to notice any problems with your curvature map. Try pressing the B key (keep pressing until curvature shows up in the top right corner), and check out the baked results that way (press M to return to full material). If you see a seam here, try lowering the "details" slider of your curvature baker. Keep lowering it until the seam goes away. I've noticed that if the details slider is too high, it detects UV seams as well as small variations in your low poly vs high poly.

If that doesn't work, you may try adjusting your high poly vs low poly in that specific area.

Hmm.  Interestingly, maybe, the curvature looks fine ,but the normal map does not at all look fine. Could that be causing it?

I hadn't looked at that before -- removing the normal map from the main textures doesn't fix it, so I thought that wasn't it.

It's probably not the normal map. What you are seeing is (I'm guessing) some type of glitch in Substance Painter that happens when you display your normal map in 3D. As far as I can tell, that happens with all normal maps when you look at them.

But you have the right idea - Just look through all of your channels and baking maps to isolate the one causing the seam. If none of them have a seam, it may just be a display quirk in Painter. It may be that one of your maps has a UV island too close  to another?

Seams can appear if you use a generator that blurs your curvature maps, since the blur is performed in UV space and not in 3D space, it is not aware of UV seams and borders.
(your normal map is fine)

Seams can appear if you use a generator that blurs your curvature maps, since the blur is performed in UV space and not in 3D space, it is not aware of UV seams and borders.
(your normal map is fine)

Oh I see- - that's good to know.  Thanks!