Author Topic: Creating Damage Decal Concrete Blocks (I need a workflow)  (Read 262 times)

Hi,

(I'm a newbie so please ignore my overdose explanations...)
I want to make a scene that will contains about 20-30 concrete blocks. Those blocks will have some damage decals on them as you can see attached images (ignore metal parts in them please). I will make this with C4D and Redshift.

1) modeling all block decals does not seem right to me is it correct?
2) Lets say I have a cube mesh with high polygons. Without any modeling can I give it a look like as attached with just a good textures?
3) What tools should I use?
4) How should I proceed? could you give me a workflow?

I've been trying to solve this problem for 5 days nearly. I could not achieve. Especially displacement mapping is not what should it be like as attached.

thank you

I'm afraid neither of your examples can be done with textures alone.
See, the corners are chipped off, and you can see straight through. Textures, as far as I know, can't do that. Not without some crazy displacement plugin.
You can make some forms of damage using only textures, but for the effects you showed, I would use geometry.

You are right in trying to reduce the gemoetry resolution though! If you can make simple geometry and add some interesting bump maps, that would save you a lot of computaitonal power. You should of course also re-use assets wherever possible.

Sorry I couldn't give you a good solution. If you need any advice on procedural damage texture, feel free to message me or open a new post!

- Robin
"Better than some, no worse than others."

Hi,

(I'm a newbie so please ignore my overdose explanations...)
I want to make a scene that will contains about 20-30 concrete blocks. Those blocks will have some damage decals on them as you can see attached images (ignore metal parts in them please). I will make this with C4D and Redshift.

1) modeling all block decals does not seem right to me is it correct?
2) Lets say I have a cube mesh with high polygons. Without any modeling can I give it a look like as attached with just a good textures?
3) What tools should I use?
4) How should I proceed? could you give me a workflow?

I've been trying to solve this problem for 5 days nearly. I could not achieve. Especially displacement mapping is not what should it be like as attached.

thank you

Wish I could find what is a common technique that many of  us , in the larger industry for games.  but we tend to use caps for damage like this.  I think some environment artist posted on a GDC but I cant check.

So for example, you have a wall, and the edges you wanted to look damaged.. You would make the whole. with your 3d software, but the edges, you can, use Zbrush, Designer, what ever.. but you would use a 3d model and act as a cap, where the damage is..add the texture to it.  the other model may have a brick wall, normal looking one, or what ever you want. This has to do with the edge itself, so it performs well and looks good.

So to reiterate , use something like Zbrush, for the damage, or what ever you have....You can bake down that for performance and add more detail with Designer...and add to those caps...
the model itself you can texture any way you like...  but the edges is what matters the most and where the caps come into place..They are just basic  shapes, to fit over where the edges are... but keep the caps simple, so you would use a combo of Zbrush, or what ever it is and Designer... to make these.   it works well.  We use this for broken bricks, and holes in walls all the time.
Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 08:00:21 am

Thank you for your guides @Recon03 and @Palirano