Author Topic: Custom brick pattern  (Read 481 times)

Hi there,
My client wants his medieval stone wall to have a very VERY specific brick pattern. One designed by him actually.
My main issue is that it is like a roman aqueduct bricks and, you know, those bricks don't have mortar at all, just bricks one over the other and so on.
So, I guess my start point was to just draw the pattern, like this:

My main doubt is how to make the stones AND get rid of the mortar (black lines)?.
Or if you like a more general question..., How to make a custom tiling pattern without mortar?.
Thanks in advance.

It's a little difficult to give concrete advice when I don't know what look you want, but I'll show the general workflow I'd use.

Let's pretend my Tile Random is your drawing. The way I understand it you want to make a concrete pattern in another program. Just make sure it's tileable.

First I want random grayscale values in every cell. For me, I'll use a flood fill into a flood fill to random grayscale node (see image). If you can make these random grayscale values in your other program, that's even better.

I need to make sure that all of my grays are above 50% brightness, or the next process won't work. So I bring them up in a levels node and then multiply back on the black mortar lines.

Now to fill the lines. In a distance node put the original pattern in the top, and your random values in the bottom. Push the distance up to max and you've removed your black mortar lines! Again, if you can do all this in your other program, that's fantastic.

Now, how do you use these random values? You use them to displace a height map.
Put your stone height map in the top of a directional warp, and the brick pattern in the bottom. You'll break up the stones according to the bricks.

I hope that helps!
- Robin

"Better than some, no worse than others."

I tried to use the distance node with no success. I've replicate your graph and works perfectly and, in fact, it is what I needed.
Thank you very much.