Author Topic: Buy license after adobe acquires allegorithmic?  (Read 4209 times)

So now evil adobe just acquired allegorithmic.What will happen in the future if I buy substance bundle on steam?

I assume there will no longer perpetual instead of subscription substance tool.I am worry that if I buy substance painter now ,I will not able to use it after adobe take over.

now should I buy substance for my work?Photoshop cs6 was perpetual before,and it still work right now.If substance work the same way in adobe,I would consider of buying

Hi @zenfo

If you purchase a licence on Steam, you will get updates until the end of December 2019, then updates will stop.
Your license will always be available in your Steam library, it won't expire. After 2019 you will be able to continue using your licence, using the latest version which was released in 2019.

If you sync your Steam licence on the Allegorithmic website (in your profile, in the "Partnership" tab) you will be able to receive a standalone licence with updates for one year from your purchasing date, so a bit after the updates stop on Steam.
You will also be able to keep using that licence after the maintenance period is over.
PO @ Allegorithmic

So there is nothing to do with adobe?

Could  allegorithmic guarntee my rights after acquiresd?

The Adobe acquisition doesn't change anything to your Steam license.

I have a few question here:

First, I already purchased a Substance Designer perpetual license about 2 years ago on Allegorithmic website here, can I still have able to continue using this tool in the future? Even Adobe running the subscription payment system, you know, Adobe they don't use perpetual license plan for their products.

Second, is it possible to upgrade my SD to latest version in the future?

Lastly, if I purchase on Steam, how can I upgrade to latest version after the end of the updates stop?

I plan to buy a perpetual license. Thus, I am wondering why people are afraid that their perpetual contract could become invalid. Isn't it a permanent key one gets ? That is, although Adobe will not admit new perpetual licenses one could legally
use this one given key forever. Is there anything I do not know or do not understand ?
Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 02:48:34 pm

Yes, perpetual licenses are... perpetual :)
You will never lose the ability to use them.

I'm on a pre-paid subscription good for another 8 or 9 months, with the intention to buy a perpetual license at the end of that term. Will I be able to? Should / Can I buy one now in case a perpetual license offer will no longer be available under Adobe at some point in the (near?) future?

I'm on a pre-paid subscription good for another 8 or 9 months, with the intention to buy a perpetual license at the end of that term. Will I be able to? Should / Can I buy one now in case a perpetual license offer will no longer be available under Adobe at some point in the (near?) future?

Don't worry, you will be able to get your perpetual license.

I did not upgrade to the newest version when my maintenance agreement was in effect. It just expired and now when I want to retrieve the upgrade it says I won't be able to use the software! In effect I read this as for instance, I want to reinstall the last version under my maintenance agreement due to an upgraded computer or HD crash, I will not be able to...therefore PERPETUAL doesn't mean squat.  Am I reading this correctly?
I tend to not download updates as I have DSL and an upgrade can take over 4 hrs as it tends to send the complete package instead of a patch!

You should be able to use to any update released while you were still under maintenance.
What version are you trying to install and when did your maintenance end?