Author Topic: Can't use .sbsar in Unity  (Read 334 times)

Hi,

I'm trying to use a .sbsar I downloaded from Substance Source with Unity 2018.3.3f1 but can't apply it to a gameobject...

I have already downloaded the "Substance in Unity" package and it stands in an Allegorithmic folder in the Assets.

But I can't drag the .sbsar onto an object in the scene.
And when I double click it, it tells me: "Unable to open Assets/.../nameOfMaterial.sbsar: Check external application preferences.

Outside of Unity, when I double click the .sbsar, it opens normally with B2M...

What am I doing wrong? How do I resolve this issue?

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm trying to use a .sbsar I downloaded from Substance Source with Unity 2018.3.3f1 but can't apply it to a gameobject...

I have already downloaded the "Substance in Unity" package and it stands in an Allegorithmic folder in the Assets.

But I can't drag the .sbsar onto an object in the scene.
And when I double click it, it tells me: "Unable to open Assets/.../nameOfMaterial.sbsar: Check external application preferences.

Outside of Unity, when I double click the .sbsar, it opens normally with B2M...

What am I doing wrong? How do I resolve this issue?

Thanks.

Hey @Ryxx ,

In this image:

The red square = the sbsar file, can create instances of a Substance graph from this menu
The blue square = the Unity material generated by the Substance plugin
The green square = the SGO (Substance Graph Object) that contains the parameters of the Substance file

To apply the material, you just need to drag the Unity material on to a game object in the scene. Double clicking the sbsar file will attempt to open it in the program that is set to open .sbsar files. Hope this helps! :)

For more information about the Substance in Unity plugin, check out the documentation here: https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/integrations/unity-2018-170459323.html
Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 09:56:49 pm
Integrations QA Analyst

Thanks for the answer, but I'm not even seeing the full thumbnail with the material. I can't unfold its contents like in your screenshot.
I'm seeing a very tiny icon and can't do anything with it. When I drag it in the scene, the cursor turns to a circle crossed with a diagonal bar (forbidden sign).

I tried creating a test .sbsar from SD (version 5.6.2) and it's the same. Unity doesn't recognize that .sbsar too.

Here's what I have:

Thanks for the answer, but I'm not even seeing the full thumbnail with the material. I can't unfold its contents like in your screenshot.
I'm seeing a very tiny icon and can't do anything with it. When I drag it in the scene, the cursor turns to a circle crossed with a diagonal bar (forbidden sign).

I tried creating a test .sbsar from SD (version 5.6.2) and it's the same. Unity doesn't recognize that .sbsar too.

Here's what I have:

Hm I can't seem to reproduce this issue. Are you getting any errors in the Unity Console?
Integrations QA Analyst

I have no specific error related to Substance in the console. If I hit "Play" all else works. But since I can't put it on a gameobject, it just stays in the assets folder so it is not generating errors, but at the same time it can't be used.

I should precise that my builds are set for Android, if that matters...

As you said, double click opens the file from Unity. But I can't even do that with the .sbsar., contrary to a normal .jpeg texture, for example, which opens fine...

Here's my Assets Folder hierarchy:

Edit: when I remove the .sbsar and put it back in the project, I do get the following message from the Unity console:
Code: [Select]
"Built-in support for Substance Designer materials has been removed from Unity. To continue using Substance Designer, you will need to install Allegorithmic's external importer from the Asset Store."
Which is strange because I already have it downloaded as per screenshot above...
Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 12:05:06 am

I have no specific error related to Substance in the console. If I hit "Play" all else works. But since I can't put it on a gameobject, it just stays in the assets folder so it is not generating errors, but at the same time it can't be used.

I should precise that my builds are set for Android, if that matters...

As you said, double click opens the file from Unity. But I can't even do that with the .sbsar., contrary to a normal .jpeg texture, for example, which opens fine...

Here's my Assets Folder hierarchy:

Edit: when I remove the .sbsar and put it back in the project, I do get the following message from the Unity console:
Code: [Select]
"Built-in support for Substance Designer materials has been removed from Unity. To continue using Substance Designer, you will need to install Allegorithmic's external importer from the Asset Store."
Which is strange because I already have it downloaded as per screenshot above...

Hey @Ryxx ,

What version of the plugin are you using? Can you go to the Substance menu at the top and click the About button and tell me what it says?

The Unity error is odd, because this would only show if you don't have the new Substance in Unity plugin installed.
Integrations QA Analyst

I deleted the Allegorithmic folder and downloaded again the latest version and now it works! The installation might have been corrupted... despite I was always using the latest version: 2.2.1.

Just for my information, is there any particular folder in the Unity structure that I should clean of temporary data in case the installation doesn't come clean (after deleting the Allegorithmic folder and before downloading it again)?

I deleted the Allegorithmic folder and downloaded again the latest version and now it works! The installation might have been corrupted... despite I was always using the latest version: 2.2.1.

Just for my information, is there any particular folder in the Unity structure that I should clean of temporary data in case the installation doesn't come clean (after deleting the Allegorithmic folder and before downloading it again)?

I'm glad to hear you got it working! :) The /Assets/Allegorithmic folder should be the only thing you need to delete (it encapsulates all of the files it needs for the plugin itself). This should be done only when Unity is closed, as to avoid crashes and errors.
Integrations QA Analyst