Author Topic: Matching textures from Substance Painter in Unity  (Read 502 times)

I can't get the textures look in unity the way they do in Substance Painter. I exported the textures using "PBR MetalRough" and also "Unity 5 standard metallic" export presets, but still no luck. I  tried different shaders in unity, imported the HDRI image I was using in unity to substance to check if that was part of the issue.
To me the textures look too shiny/glossy in Unity and the color is off. The screenshots are the closest I could get after adjusting lighting and the skybox in unity.

Substance Painter

Unity

I can't get the textures look in unity the way they do in Substance Painter. I exported the textures using "PBR MetalRough" and also "Unity 5 standard metallic" export presets, but still no luck. I  tried different shaders in unity, imported the HDRI image I was using in unity to substance to check if that was part of the issue.
To me the textures look too shiny/glossy in Unity and the color is off. The screenshots are the closest I could get after adjusting lighting and the skybox in unity.

Hi,

If the textures look to shiny, this indicates that the roughness (smoothness) is not being interpreted as linear. In Unity, select the packed map that has the smoothness in the alpha. In the inspector, uncheck the sRGB option and click apply. This should fix the issue.

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thank you. I changed the player settings in Unity and it looks about the same as in Substance. Also I didn't realize that Unity kept the material tint (grey) when importing models. Thanks again for your help.

Thank you. I changed the player settings in Unity and it looks about the same as in Substance. Also I didn't realize that Unity kept the material tint (grey) when importing models. Thanks again for your help.

No problem : )

Cheers,
Wes

Hi Wes,

Just to double-check given the information provided in this reply and your Unity Substance integration docs section (https://docs.substance3d.com/integrations/generated-textures-packing-170459638.html):

If I export textures from Substance Painter to Unity 5, am I correct to assume that I have to do the following in Unity's "Texture Import Settings" when importing them?

1. Leave "sRGB (Color Texture)" box checked for: Albedo, Specular and Emissive outputs
2. Leave box unchecked for all other outputs

Thanks,
Patrick

Hi Wes,

Just to double-check given the information provided in this reply and your Unity Substance integration docs section (https://docs.substance3d.com/integrations/generated-textures-packing-170459638.html):

If I export textures from Substance Painter to Unity 5, am I correct to assume that I have to do the following in Unity's "Texture Import Settings" when importing them?

1. Leave "sRGB (Color Texture)" box checked for: Albedo, Specular and Emissive outputs
2. Leave box unchecked for all other outputs

Thanks,
Patrick

Hi Patrick,

You are correct : )

Cheers,
Wes

Thank you for the clarification!