Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (Part2)  (Read 21912 times)

@Vincent Gault | SO, I'm an Adobe Creative Cloud user :P, and can't wait for the addition of Substance painter, do you know a general time frame they will be adding your software to the Cloud, if at all? (I.E. end of the year, a year, two!?)

Also to everyone, there is a group of people (including me) that wants to see the Algorithmic team come to Adobe with Substance, as is, and to continue their remarkable groundbreaking work. :o

Sadly I don't have any time frame for the addition to substance products to Creative Cloud. We are indeed at work to prepare cool offers, but we have A LOT of things to settle before it happens.

You can be sure that as soon as we'll have ready, we'll let everyone knows  ;D

@Substance team
I know times like this is can be turbulent, but i wish you came out of it stronger, and batter then ever. Even if i abbsolultly agree with the concerns of many people here, ( i allso works for a big corporation, and things are realy are, as many discribed here) but i think, a great product, well known in the industry, and loved worldwide will not disappear. Be creative, innovative, and never stop listen to your costumers, and things will be fine. God luck to all of you!

Thanks a lot ;)

As a side note, I just came back to GDC in San Francisco (where Adobe head office is), and I had the chance to meet with our new teammates (Mixamo, Dimension, Aero, Stock 3D teams): they are awesome, passionate as much as we are, and super excited to work with us! all together, we are here to lead this 3D initiative, so we are going to continue to innovate, with (way) more resources :).

We are truly at a "wait and see" stage here, and the Allegorithmic guys deserve the benefit of the doubt. Every possible question and speculation has been covered in this thread. The deal is done so let's just wait and see how it shakes out. :)
Unfortunately, I can't take the time to "wait and see". I'm shortly entering my eighth decade and waiting isn't something I can deal with anymore.

I know if it becomes subscription (only) with Adobe, I'll go elsewhere.  I'm also not going to pay another year's fee for my perpetual licenses either, until things are clear (I guess I do wait on some things!)  Probably forced to go elsewhere.
Ryzen 1800x w Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler, Gigabyte AX370 K7, Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME-M.2 SSD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G2 PS
Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem, Logitech G910 KB, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 399.07 (30Sep18), Win 10 Pro x64

Now that you have the resources of Adobe have you considered making a 3D modeling and Sculpting tool? Autodesk could use some competition.

Now that you have the resources of Adobe have you considered making a 3D modeling and Sculpting tool? Autodesk could use some competition.

Now that we are in Adobe, we can definitely expand the scope of what we can do  ;)

Now that we are in Adobe, we can definitely expand the scope of what we can do  ;)

Substance Creator. How's that for a name?

We are truly at a "wait and see" stage here, and the Allegorithmic guys deserve the benefit of the doubt. Every possible question and speculation has been covered in this thread. The deal is done so let's just wait and see how it shakes out. :)

Yeah, I would like to do that - but the 'Allegorithmic guys' are not in control any more - Adobe is. Read the bottom of this web page 'Substance by Adobe' - Allegorithmic no longer exists.

Adobe only has the SAAS business model.

If the perpetual model remains for Substance painter it will likely only be for the version current before the take-over.

I am pretty sure it will all be a good thing if you like the SAAS model. But if not, learn to love your current perpetual version, it is likely to eventually be a dinosaur.

And you are right - the deal is done - we have no option but to see what happen. 
Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 12:08:49 am

Yeah, I would like to do that - but the 'Allegorithmic guys' are not in control any more - Adobe is. Read the bottom of this web page 'Substance by Adobe' - Allegorithmic no longer exists.

If the perpetual model remains for Substance painter it will likely only be for the version current before the take-over.

I am pretty sure it will all be a good thing if you like the SAAS model. But if not, learn to love your current perpetual version, it is likely to eventually be a dinosaur.

And you are right - the deal is done - we have no option but to see what happen.

Yes Adobe is in control (nothing new here), and Adobe has decided to pursue with subscription and perpetual, as explained in the post above, because we (people from Adobe including us) have decided that it was the right thing to do.

Imagining different alternative scenarios can be a good exercise, but you cannot build conclusions (and especially explain what people should do) based on this. Take a look at the article, that's the current situation and facts to make your own opinion.

pws

Yes Adobe is in control (nothing new here), and Adobe has decided to pursue with subscription and perpetual, as explained in the post above, because we (people from Adobe including us) have decided that it was the right thing to do.

Imagining different alternative scenarios can be a good exercise, but you cannot build conclusions (and especially explain what people should do) based on this. Take a look at the article, that's the current situation and facts to make your own opinion.

Thank you Vincent - this sounds great! And now please get your company to add a maintenance option / upgrade path for our other Adobe products. This might boost Adobe from zero to Hero. I did not upgrade my Ps since CS6Ex - guess why ...  :)
Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 05:20:51 pm

Thank you Vincent - this sounds great! And now please get your company to add a maintenance option / upgrade path for our other Adobe products. This might boost Adobe from zero to Hero. I did not upgrade my Ps since CS6Ex - guess why ...  :)

Haha this is definitely another story  ;D

https://www.allegorithmic.com/blog/substance-team-joins-adobe-family-update

Great news, music to my ears regarding perpetual licenses! Let's hope it stays that way!:):)

Wow, yes if you create a modelling/sculpting tool of the same standards as the other Substance products I'd definitely be interested in using it! Doesn't hurt to have some competition in the market:)

someone seriously needs to give Zbrush a run for their money. It's a great piece of software but it seems like its been a decade since they stopped listening to what the xfx/tv/game industry actually want to see added or improved upon....

So my perpetual license is now asking me for $75 maintenance fee to go from 2018.3 to the 2019, even though I received both advertised email and forum confirmation that the upgrade would be free. "This license does not allow to use this version of the software. Renew the maintenance to use it." I have never had this message before especially when the upgrade was advertised as free and included from 2018.3 to 2019. It seems my perpetual license is not really perpetual where there was no prior request for maintenance fees between versions.

There has always been either major paid upgrades a few years ago, or more recently maintenance after a year of free update to get another year of free updates. When did you purchase your perpetual license? If you purchased it after April 23rd 2018, then the 2019.1 should be included for free.
Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 04:22:18 am

There has always been either major paid upgrades a few years ago, or more recently maintenance after a year of free update to get another year of free updates. When did you purchase your perpetual license? If you purchased it after April 23rd 2018, then the 2019.1 should be included for free.

I have been with your company since painter 1.0. I had subscribed in 2017 to 2018 and bought a permanent license for Painter 2017-18 on 20/06/2017 with maintenance ending on 24/11/2018. I received an 2019 release email stating that upgrades were included, then both you and Marion stated on a forum that we would get updates until December 2019 for purchased licenses and that nothing would change. Now the upgrade is a maintenance that costs $75. I don't mind paying for maintenance upgrades as long as they are clearly advertised as such. I just upgraded from 2019 back to 2018.3.3 which is running now.

If I go back to subscription and it lapses later does the maintenance stay on or is the maintenance monthly only? Does the new subscription license affect the previously purchased perpetual license or is it a separate license entirely?
Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 04:56:01 am