Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (Part2)  (Read 123193 times)

Would I have to have a CC account to use the share service and the keep the existing perpetual licenses in the future?

No.

Biggest news so far.

Would I have to have a CC account to use the share service and the keep the existing perpetual licenses in the future?

No.

This needs more fanfare, as it has been the #1 fear for many of the users posting here.  I'm on board either way, but just wanted to quote this due to it's magnitude, in hopes it might diffuse some of the concerns.

No.

This needs more fanfare, as it has been the #1 fear for many of the users posting here.  I'm on board either way, but just wanted to quote this due to it's magnitude, in hopes it might diffuse some of the concerns.

I agree, it should appear on the front page.

What we see is the 3D industry booming in the upcoming years, and we want to be ready when it happens and bring our ideas/solutions to the table. And reviewing the options/discussing with potential partners, we chose Adobe, because that gave us the trust and the keys to build our vision. We have been in touch with them for the last 2 years, so we are confident with the relationship we can build with them.
Once again we can agree to not agree, but this neither an aggressive takeover, nor a naive decision.

Everything has its price ,you got bigger support in the industry now but you're not independent anymore  .If Adobe thinks that is more money in selling french fry  then Allegorithmic will be selling french fry in the future.
Autodesk killed Softimage, ImageModeler,MatchMover
Microsoft killed TrueSpace.
Adobe killed Mixamo.
Blender was a great surprise to free himself,and now its better than some paid 3d packages.
RIP Allegorithmic, you had a great run,it was a great idea and a better realization. I assume that the technology will be transfered to other Adobe products,some light version will be released in the future for a couple of years, to imitate active development.Its a shame to go out when you're at peak but then you got a bigger price i guess.
OpenSource has no alternative
Adobe Substance Painter,Adobe Substance Designer,,,even the name makes me sick, ...disgusting

No mention of all the ones that kill themselves alone? I mean we can look only at the sad stories, and occult the ones that don't serve our cause. There are stories of acquisitions that goes well, and stories of independents that goes bad, and of course the contrary is true.

Blender is indeed a great open source success (and I personally love it), but let's not forget it was a commercial project at first that went open source because of poor sales (yet community will, to pursue the effort), and that it takes more than a decade before they really get something. The path was anything but easy for them (and congrats, because it's now a great software).

There is not ONE good choice: we are making this one because, with the elements we have right now, we think it's the good one. the future will tell us if we are right or wrong.

I tried to go through the 50 + 9 pages just in case this has been answered but I haven't seen an answer to that.
I own a perpetual license for all products and I use substance share alot. I have even upload materials there, and planning to keep doing in the future.

So far everything remains the same: if at some points there are migrations, we'll let you know (in advance)

Thanks for the feedback!

Indeed viewed like this, it was about Resources (I don't say money because we have to think about, manpower, researches, patents, etc...)

there is some stuff we want to develop, and we can't allow ourselves to be late on them, or it will be developed by competition. As we said, we are predicting a big boom in 3d in the upcoming years, and we want to be ready for it.

Thank you for your reply, Vincent.
So is it still possible that if a subscription runs into perpetual in August, that Adobe decides to forfeit it?

As we said, we are predicting a big boom in 3d in the upcoming years, and we want to be ready for it.

Do you mean a market different to film and games and different to how Substance is used today ?  Which industry is imminently set to grow in your view ?

I am not sure if it has been answered yet but one and only problem that I have with Adobe is that I can't buy subscription directly through webpage. And need to use reseller and the price is DOUBLE the original and no option on monthly payment. Is there anything going on for us guys n gals that aren't in "allowed" adobe subscription countries?

"We are scared to lose perpetual licenses because Adobe does not use perpetual licenses"
Edit: if you have a perpetual license, you will keep it, it's your.

Hey Vincent, I'm just having a hard time believing (in a good way) because I own a perpetual license and I love this software till death. So just to final double check, (anyone can reply to this), since I'm a perpetual license holder I get to keep using the software, of course, it's going to be outdated as soon as I am out of the one year update program right?

Thanks!

Thank you for your reply, Vincent.
So is it still possible that if a subscription runs into perpetual in August, that Adobe decides to forfeit it?
nope: as we said we will respect the engagements we have taken

As we said, we are predicting a big boom in 3d in the upcoming years, and we want to be ready for it.

Do you mean a market different to film and games and different to how Substance is used today ?  Which industry is imminently set to grow in your view ?

AR, VR, the usage in archviz product design should expand etc...

I am not sure if it has been answered yet but one and only problem that I have with Adobe is that I can't buy subscription directly through webpage. And need to use reseller and the price is DOUBLE the original and no option on monthly payment. Is there anything going on for us guys n gals that aren't in "allowed" adobe subscription countries?

Good question: I guess it will be case by case resolution (don't know for this specific case)

"We are scared to lose perpetual licenses because Adobe does not use perpetual licenses"
Edit: if you have a perpetual license, you will keep it, it's your.

Hey Vincent, I'm just having a hard time believing (in a good way) because I own a perpetual license and I love this software till death. So just to final double check, (anyone can reply to this), since I'm a perpetual license holder I get to keep using the software, of course, it's going to be outdated as soon as I am out of the one year update program right?

Thanks!

yes (as it is the case right now): you get the latest updated version at the date of leaving (but not the future updates)