Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (Part2)  (Read 19246 times)

I'm content with the firm answer that our Indie subscriptions can and will be available to convert to perpetual licenses for $49 after completing the 12 month requirement. As a hobbiest, and a senior on a fixed income, I'm happy this option is still available to me.

As a hobbiest, and a senior on a fixed income too, I totally agree with this comment, also it's still early days with Adobe so let's see what the future brings there are alternatives available if things don't turn out for us hobbiests. My experience of Company takeovers it usually take 12-18months before you even notice the effect the new owners have arrived.

I am not sure if it has been answered yet but one and only problem that I have with Adobe is that I can't buy subscription directly through webpage. And need to use reseller and the price is DOUBLE the original and no option on monthly payment. Is there anything going on for us guys n gals that aren't in "allowed" adobe subscription countries?

Good question: I guess it will be case by case resolution (don't know for this specific case)

Well that does make me sad.

Thanks for all the answers, which were very helpful.

Only a little Adobad taste that's still remaining, which I beg you to consider, that's directed at Adobe as well:

The current expression feels fair until the point where we have the perpetual finally. But afterwards there still is a force applied to us, (those who wish not to be pulled into Adobes forced subscription).
Please consider this: let us (those outside of the subscription bubble) have at least the opportunity to buy (maybe for 50 Bucks) an update every year for our perpetual licensed versions of Substance D/P. Or at least, if some major changes are due, for if it needs to be running on a newer operating systen/graphics card - so it doesn't get outdated too far.

Less force, Adobe ... less force.

Just a constructive thought ;)
Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 11:21:18 pm

Quixel has responded to Allegorithmic becoming Adobe. Interesting developments, good for users, perhaps not so much for Adobe.
https://quixel.com/blog/2019/1/30/the-year-of-mixer

Quixel has responded to Allegorithmic becoming Adobe. Interesting developments, good for users, perhaps not so much for Adobe.
https://quixel.com/blog/2019/1/30/the-year-of-mixer

Nice.  Some of the $900 annual cost I saved cancelling my Adobe CC sub this week can support Mixer development :)

Good luck to them (competition is always healthy).

That said (and I have seen this A LOT), it would be unfair to say Quixel (or Mari) are the rebels, and we now are part of the Empire. We are backed (and now part of) a giant software company; they are backed by Venture Capital investors and/or investment funds in both cases (just google it). Not saying this is a bad thing, or they cannot define their own strategy (I am pretty sure they do, and Teddy (Quixel CEO) said it this weekend). But we either all rebels or all part of the Empire. As Quixel, and ourselves have always been proposing new things on the table, I would place both of us in the rebels camps :) )

And at the end the day, they are accountable as well, but not to the same kind of entity. Personally (and of course we can disagree) I prefer to be backed by a CG software company, and as you can imagine, we had A LOT of proposals by venture capitals and investment funds.

I think what remains important for Quixel, Mari, and ourselves (and all other competitors) are the products/tools/service/support we deliver to you. This is one of the concerns I have seen a lot (that we would stop innovating). Once again, we are in charge of the 3D initiative, and we'll lead it that same way we have always done: innovating and offering great support.

To this specific announcements, it's good for the user at the end (surprised that they didn't get any backlash when it was in subscription only, when we do have one while the perpetual license remains here  ;D)
Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 12:50:53 pm

First: I wish you guys best of luck, seriously. If this move allows you to breath freely and concentrate to improve your excellent software, then I'm all for it.

That said, as a Mac user my gripe is with the software Adobe uses to control the subscription, Creative Cloud. The software grabs an obscene amount of RAM at times (>500MB) and really does not behave well in tight memory conditions. During one, admittedly huge raytracing job, huge in regard of textures and tessellation, CC put a break on Iray by grabbing even more memory to tell me that it "needs to be reapaired" thus slowing Iray down to a crawl. End of story, the allotted time ran out (>8 hours) and the render was far from done. I was able to repeat this behavior multiple times.

The way to avoid this is simply killing all Adobe-processes. Granted, my next Mac will have more RAM, but I need this RAM to finally tesselate things I didn't dare to tesselate with the available RAM and not to satisfy CC's hunger for RAM.

Long story short, I ended my Adobe subscription to not find my Mac in an idle loop when expecting a finished raytrace or encoded videos when not supervising it all the time.

I know that there is not much you guys could do about this. I just wanted to voice my concern. Your subscription model is, IMHO, great. I'm just scared of the inevitable changes to the way the licensing is controlled.

Keep up your excellent work,
Erik

First: I wish you guys best of luck, seriously. If this move allows you to breath freely and concentrate to improve your excellent software, then I'm all for it.

That said, as a Mac user my gripe is with the software Adobe uses to control the subscription, Creative Cloud. The software grabs an obscene amount of RAM at times (>500MB) and really does not behave well in tight memory conditions. During one, admittedly huge raytracing job, huge in regard of textures and tessellation, CC put a break on Iray by grabbing even more memory to tell me that it "needs to be reapaired" thus slowing Iray down to a crawl. End of story, the allotted time ran out (>8 hours) and the render was far from done. I was able to repeat this behavior multiple times.

The way to avoid this is simply killing all Adobe-processes. Granted, my next Mac will have more RAM, but I need this RAM to finally tesselate things I didn't dare to tesselate with the available RAM and not to satisfy CC's hunger for RAM.

Long story short, I ended my Adobe subscription to not find my Mac in an idle loop when expecting a finished raytrace or encoded videos when not supervising it all the time.

I know that there is not much you guys could do about this. I just wanted to voice my concern. Your subscription model is, IMHO, great. I'm just scared of the inevitable changes to the way the licensing is controlled.

Keep up your excellent work,
Erik

thanks for sharing your experience (we'll see if we can influence somehow on this ;-))

Hi there ! I saw painter & designer 2019 ) Does it mean you're preparing release soon?

Hi there ! I saw painter & designer 2019 ) Does it mean you're preparing release soon?

We are releasing versions quite regularly ;-)

https://www.allegorithmic.com/products/substance-painter/release-notes

We are releasing versions quite regularly ;-)

https://www.allegorithmic.com/products/substance-painter/release-notes
Any info on the latest B2M release? I went to download latest painter and noticed there’s a new B2M release. I had issues with it so went back to previous version.

Please post your issues in the B2M forum, this release was a simple bug fix release and we need to know if it introduced new issues :)

Hello, I am not here to berate or complain in any way but to show my legitimate concern. Because when i see things like "fair" and adobe in the same sentence i dont think of it as soo(yes i know thousands of things with a subscription with them but gimp is free). I love substance and i bought it during black friday as its a good deal for a year while subscribing for a few months previously(I really love it). Now with that out of the way. How much pressure are you gonna be receiving from them to jack prices to the point where its bearable? Cause im legit afraid your gonna pull an activision blizzard on substance.(yes its micro transactions but apply them to slimey things that can be done with substance) Let me just say an easy selling point is source and updates as well as so far youve been great even on support so i cant complain. Just please do the right thing and not in a google way and change the slogan in 5 years to suit your needs.

If we have hundreds of substance downloads saved up for Substance Source, will this change-over effect those downloads?
I'm not talking about ones we already have downloaded, but the points we have to get new ones when we need them?
Will Substance Source be removed or converted to bring it closer to the Adobe website?
Should we spend all our downloads now or can you guarentee us the ability to keep our download points for when we need them?

Thank you.

Your Source points are safe :)