Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (Part2)  (Read 124924 times)

The future is real time 3D

I think my biggest gripe as an After Effects user has always been how dreadfully slow it caches the timeline. There's a character animation program called "Spine", by Esoteric Software, that provides real-time 60fps playback of 2D assets. No caching required. If Adobe can bring that sort of performance to After Effects (or any other software they have coming down the pipe) it'll be a game-changer.

Are you saying Adobe should buy them  ;D

Lol.

Man, I really want to believe this will be a good thing for you guys, but I just can’t shake the past experiences I’ve had with Adobe. If I’ve learned anything, it’s that a company’s past behaviour is a good predictor of their future behaviour. And Adobe’s behaviour over the past six years or so has been both hostile to individuals and lacking in innovation.

Seriously, for anyone who wants to know where Adobe stands on innovation, go and look up how to apply a displacement map to an image in Photoshop. It’s like time travelling 20 years into the past.

Still, I really want to be proven wrong, so I hope you pull off whatever it is you’re working on. You all seem very passionate about it, and I’d hate to see such a fantastic team of people go to waste.

Why should we believe that Adobe cares about the little guy? I know perpetual licences are here to stay but who's to say they won't just repackage the software to force us to pay exorbitant fees for a subscription? "Subscribe for Adobe Substance. Only 99.99$ a month"

Will they force us to subscribe to CC? Will Substance products still be available outside the CC?

Will they force us to subscribe to CC? Will Substance products still be available outside the CC?

Nothing to add to what has already been said Fenes: when we will have the proper information, we'll let you know.

Probably everything we can say here will not change anything anymore. Most of the reactions were given, and you allegorithmic team heard the general feeling.
I must admit that you have made an effort to continue to respond to this mass of negative opinions (of which I was a part) without giving up. Congratulations on that.

All we can do now is hope that you can resist the steamroller.
And maybe in our wildest dreams hope that you can positively influence the big Adobe.

i'm only concerned you guys keep innovating and moving substance forward.  While I understand why people like having a perpetual option, it makes less and less sense for me.  Frankly if I'm not updating my software, it's because I'm just not using it anymore.  I've been on subs with Allegorithmic for the last few years with 0 interest in a perpetual license.
I really hope this turns out to be good for Substance development.

i'm only concerned you guys keep innovating and moving substance forward.  While I understand why people like having a perpetual option, it makes less and less sense for me.  Frankly if I'm not updating my software, it's because I'm just not using it anymore.  I've been on subs with Allegorithmic for the last few years with 0 interest in a perpetual license.
I really hope this turns out to be good for Substance development.

Thanks ;-)
We plan to keep everyone on board: we have been successful in the past, and we don't plan to change the recipee ;)

[...]
So now you're adobe and I have hope to get the Substance package virtually for free (within the CC). Do you know how long it will take for you to show up in the CC? Actually I'm literally checking every day now ^^.

I can see how the acquisition is a good thing for Adobe and the owners and investors in Allegorithmic, but what does it bring to your existing customers?

Licensing issues aside, perhaps you can elaborate on why this acquisition is a good thing for us?

Are there features that would have been difficult for you to do on your own?
Will you be able to add new features faster?
Does Adobe have any IP or programs that you can use to augment your product?

I am sure someone spent significant thought in selling the value of this alliance to Adobe.  Was there any consideration as to its value to us?

What we see is the 3D industry booming in the upcoming years, and we want to be ready when it happens and bring our ideas/solutions to the table. And reviewing the options/discussing with potential partners, we chose Adobe, because that gave us the trust and the keys to build our vision. We have been in touch with them for the last 2 years, so we are confident with the relationship we can build with them.
Once again we can agree to not agree, but this neither an aggressive takeover, nor a naive decision.

Everything has its price ,you got bigger support in the industry now but you're not independent anymore  .If Adobe thinks that is more money in selling french fry  then Allegorithmic will be selling french fry in the future.
Autodesk killed Softimage, ImageModeler,MatchMover
Microsoft killed TrueSpace.
Adobe killed Mixamo.
Blender was a great surprise to free himself,and now its better than some paid 3d packages.
RIP Allegorithmic, you had a great run,it was a great idea and a better realization. I assume that the technology will be transfered to other Adobe products,some light version will be released in the future for a couple of years, to imitate active development.Its a shame to go out when you're at peak but then you got a bigger price i guess.
OpenSource has no alternative
Adobe Substance Painter,Adobe Substance Designer,,,even the name makes me sick, ...disgusting
Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 06:17:06 pm

I tried to go through the 50 + 9 pages just in case this has been answered but I haven't seen an answer to that.
I own a perpetual license for all products and I use substance share alot. I have even upload materials there, and planning to keep doing in the future.

Would I have to have a CC account to use the share service and the keep the existing perpetual licenses in the future?

No surprise, and even if we expected it, what affected the team the most, are some reactions we got. Not necessary skepticism, rage, or sadness. But the fact that some messages were directly aiming our integrity (our = Allegorithmic staff), that we are selling our soul for money, etc... To me, this is the harder to read (this and the user guide of my new Ferrari (photo in attachment in case it's taken seriously  ;D)).

And a lot of this has to do with user perception as well. When interacting with the team, they were seen as the underdogs, those rebelling against the business as usual types found at Adobe and Autodesk. The perceived integrity came from the expectation that you were not one of corporate workers, but a new force that is continuously growing in order to compete with the bigger guys.

So when you sell out (and yeah, technically its still selling out), the "integrity" aspect comes into play. Though to be fair, its a bit of projection on the user side as well, since what they see in Allegorithmic might not be what Allegorithmic saw in Allegorithmic. A lot of your supporters wanted Allegorithmic to grow in order to compete with Adobe, Autodesk, rather than merge with them. Thus its seen as selling out. It seems like the "hurt" aspect is mutual between user base and staff.

On the selling out aspect, it was about money by your own admissions, however its not the personal wealth kind but the company backing kind. I'm sure for your team it came across as an opportunity to do more, rather than just get paid more or cash out, however it still goes right back to the money aspect. Regardless, it will be hard for the user base to see it the way you might see it, especially since joining Adobe comes across as unnecessary.

I hate to say it but it will be difficult to get the same treatment going forward as you guys are no longer independent, no longer the under dog. The way people will see you will change, it comes with the territory (the new badge you wear "adobe"). Just that alone can make users not fully trust what is said. From independent and respected, to industry pariah.
Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 06:34:07 pm

What we see is the 3D industry booming in the upcoming years, and we want to be ready when it happens and bring our ideas/solutions to the table. And reviewing the options/discussing with potential partners, we chose Adobe, because that gave us the trust and the keys to build our vision. We have been in touch with them for the last 2 years, so we are confident with the relationship we can build with them.
Once again we can agree to not agree, but this neither an aggressive takeover, nor a naive decision.

Everything has its price ,you got bigger support in the industry now but you're not independent anymore  .If Adobe thinks that is more money in selling french fry  then Allegorithmic will be selling french fry in the future.
Autodesk killed Softimage, ImageModeler,MatchMover
Microsoft killed TrueSpace.
Adobe killed Mixamo.
Blender was a great surprise to free himself,and now its better than some paid 3d packages.
RIP Allegorithmic, you had a great run,it was a great idea and a better realization. I assume that the technology will be transfered to other Adobe products,some light version will be released in the future for a couple of years, to imitate active development.Its a shame to go out when you're at peak but then you got a bigger price i guess.
OpenSource has no alternative
Adobe Substance Painter,Adobe Substance Designer,,,even the name makes me sick, ...disgusting

Bigger you get more unethical you get and there are messes who wont stand against companies like Adobe. or open their mouth for better world.
when they do, they sell out it seems like
In 2013, Adobes 152 million usernames and poorly-encrypted passwords, plus customers' credit card numbers hacked: class action: it turned out  Adobe's security blunder could rank among the worst in history and "shoddy" security practises lead to the breach.
If i dont remember wrong they gave 6 months free photoshop to the hacked individuals  :D :D :D :D :D
go cheap in every corner.

i promise you sometimes you get yearly updates where they only play with fonts.

in a sensible world Allego acquires Adobe for 100 dollars for their brushes.

Would I have to have a CC account to use the share service and the keep the existing perpetual licenses in the future?

No.

[...]
So now you're adobe and I have hope to get the Substance package virtually for free (within the CC). Do you know how long it will take for you to show up in the CC? Actually I'm literally checking every day now ^^.

whatever we do, it will take time haha :-)

I can see how the acquisition is a good thing for Adobe and the owners and investors in Allegorithmic, but what does it bring to your existing customers?

Licensing issues aside, perhaps you can elaborate on why this acquisition is a good thing for us?

Are there features that would have been difficult for you to do on your own?
Will you be able to add new features faster?
Does Adobe have any IP or programs that you can use to augment your product?

I am sure someone spent significant thought in selling the value of this alliance to Adobe.  Was there any consideration as to its value to us?

Hey thanks for the answer, so definitely , the goal is to see which feature/tech patents can make sense in substance products, and in Adobe products: There have been a lot of request to iport Photoshop brushes format for example (I am not saying that it will come, but at least, now we can think of it). Photoshop or After Effects would benefit from supporting the substance format. + Adobe has an army of Researchers, that would be more than happy to get their brains in new 3d topics :-)