Author Topic: Dense mesh vs low poly, does it matter?  (Read 1248 times)

It's not for games. I have a few objects some look more dense than others. Does it matter for Substance Painter how dense your object is?

no, the only thing that is matter, that what resolution of texture you set up for the project (olso, that in what resolution you bake it out) And how you were able to set up your UV islands in the 1:1 UV field.

A 4K texture workflow baked and exported as 4K texture maps used on the same UV layout will be the same if it goes to 6 poly cube or to a 6 mill poly cube.

Thanks.
in terms of setting up the UV islands in the 1:1 UV field, if I have a long rectangular object it would take the lower half of the 1:1 UV field only, would you recommend cutting in in pieces to fill the 1:1 UV field?
Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 08:43:31 pm

if in that way it can cover more in the 1:1 field than yes, but also take care of optimalization, so take a look how an UV checker behave (distortion) when you make that cut, also take care and test that the UV checker density shows exactely what you wish due to the different UV islands.

So you mean make sure each island is the same size (except the last)?

Islands can be any size, it's the size of the faces that matter as your density will be based on how much each face takes up in the 0-1 UV space.

Depending on how you optimize, you can have more than one object using the same 0-1 space so you don't waste a 4k map on having only 20% used.

(Note: I'm talking about only 0-1 UV space, not a UDIM workflow here)
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

As "size" we are talking about checker density pattern right?
It deppends on your model, but wait, I link you a tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwusznnkRxo

How would you go about setting 0-1 space on 3dsmax?

(Note: I'm talking about only 0-1 UV space, not a UDIM workflow here)

You mention UDIMs, do you think UDIMs solve this problem, like each section of the geometry in a separate space?

As "size" we are talking about checker density pattern right?
It deppends on your model, but wait, I link you a tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwusznnkRxo
This link is very useful, many thanks