Author Topic: How do I use the normal map "hard surfaces" alphas?  (Read 43428 times)

Hello guys,

I still haven't quite figured out how to apply the normal map bits from here to my existing texture/project?
As in... is there a special tool to use them so that they get merged properly onto my existing Normal Map within Painter?
Ideally I would use them like an alpha stamp so I can place them exactly where I want.

I was trying to find any documentation for that (and I feel a bit silly for asking) but I still haven't figured it out how to actually use them :)

Regards, Tim

- create a layer (not a fill layer)
- disable all channels except for normal
- drag and drop one of the normal stamps onto the normal channel

you should be able to stamp away, i usually disable any alpha on my brush

hope that helps!

Thank you good sir, much appreciate it.
I guess the only downside of this is that we can't actually get that filled with another material unless we hand paint it in afterwards. That makes it not very flexible. Well here is hope that some day we get something like NDO for Painter.
Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 06:25:48 pm

Hi guys, a newbie here.

I've seen brush packs online that has these "hard surfaces" normal brushes, I want to create some of my own. Right now I only use height alphas to add detail, but having my own custom normal brushes would be great. I looked around online but there doesn't seem to have any tutorials on that I guess?

One way would be to bake the normal and import as a brush but how do you make it transparent? Do you manually mask/paint it out on photoshop? Or is there a proper way to do this?

I want to make some of them transparent so that I can use them as alpha as well and paint on multiple channels.
Any ideas? Thanks!
Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 05:06:18 am

Yeah no way of stamping those in with a different material as far as I can tell. I was looking to do exactly that on a current project.

Don't know if you can change it inside of Painter but I know that Painter can export Normal map with transparency. So if you will bake Normal map with Painter then you can save it in your folder with rest maps for later use.

But I personally would suggest use Height maps for detail. You can use them with fill layers with much much greater control.
Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:36:23 am

- create a layer (not a fill layer)
- disable all channels except for normal
- drag and drop one of the normal stamps onto the normal channel

you should be able to stamp away, i usually disable any alpha on my brush

hope that helps!

which channels do I need to disable? The "hard surfaces" arent working :/

You can actually use the NM stamps with a material simultaneously, but you'll have to create a separate alpha b/w image for each of the stamps.

The NM stamps are actually containers that can be exported and opened with Bitmap2Material. From there you can export the maps, and create matching alphas in Photoshop. Which is not very convenient because you need to import the images back into Painter and assign them as Alpha manually, but it works. You do not need to paint the material in manually afterwards.

The NM maps themselves can easily be created using Substance Designer or NDO by blending black and white shapes and converting them to normals automatically.

Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 04:46:03 pm

@Carolina: Make sure you're in the 'Normal' instead of 'Base Color' it's the dropdown above your layers.

Hey  ;)

I want to draw some panels on my spaceship, but I can't because when I want
to draw on the object nothing happens :(

I made a screenshot how it actually looks like :(

I guess I am making a stupid mistake but I don't know.

Best Regards,
Toby

You have the smudge tool selected, amke sure to select the paint tool first and drag a normal stamp in the normal map channel slot in your material options.

Ah that helped  ;D

Thank you very much :D

I'm having an issue with the hardsurface tool as well. I've tried two things. One where I make a fill, disable all channels except the height channel and then add a black mask. However when I try this, the stencil is worthless as it just adds the outline box. I've also tried the way mentioned in this thread, but that's worthless as well as the bounding circle of the paint brush cuts off the corners. So does anyone know how to get either of these work?