Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (part 1)  (Read 74776 times)

Haha, ok I have to admit that this is not the best way to showcase SP  ;D
The good this is now we can give feedback directly  :)

By the way, it's the first time that I hear about "Adobe Dimension"
What kind of render it is?
- It's a biased or an unbiased one? BPR?
- It's utalizeing CPU or GPU
- Just CUDA if GPU or OpenCL as well?
- Pathtraceing, ray traceing?
- Can we render huge scenes with it?
- Can it handle sequences?

Can not find anything about it.. just some advertisment content

Give us some time and we'll let you know: i don't know the product enough yet.

Jeremie, what was the goal of the survey 10 days ago?
To Give Adobe users database?
To monitor how many of your user subscribed to CC already?
Who is the winner?

We send out the same general survey every year around that time to have a sense of where the 3D world is gearing towards. It helps us define where our own products are going and what we should work on next or improve.

There was no question related to Creative Cloud or Adobe in the survey.

You know what is sad Jeremie, from when you guys announce the acquisition to going forward, your Adobe Team's words no matter how righteous it may be will always be criticize. Even if you guys come up with innovative updates. Your community sees that Adobe Company tagline and criticism will pursue. That is the damage you the new Adobe team have done to your brand and in the 3d community.

You don't have to believe me, your new Adobe Team have been seeing it already.

Is it me, or have quite a lot of comments gone awol?

It may be damage control. On every single forum I've been on (polycount, youtube, reddit, even Sebastian's "Peter Jackson moment" on medium.com) there are a whole lot of comments by confused and angry people. It's quite possible Substance will lose most of its user-base and all of its rep.

I'm just speculating though. I saw one of my comments deleted and I have to agree, maybe it was a bit lewd for this thread.

I do not know, I enjoyed a lot of your comments.
   It is wrong for Jeremie to stifle your creativity. This is a forum for artist after all and some of your posting were masterpieces

aw, thank you! ^_^ Overall this entire development has been interesting. I am genuinely sad and frustrated that Adobe will be CC-ing Substance and it's hard to just let go. I'll miss this place.
3D art is magic.

I've had a nagging doubt in my mind since the announcement that Adobe bought Allegorithmic for 1 real reason, to farm potential patent options out of Substance Designer. Design is, as someone put it early in this thread, a pink diamond. There is NOTHING else out there that offers the same toolset or concept focus. Designer is something that, unlike Painter, can actually have a lot of uses for 2D applications. I fear Adobe bought Allegorithmic so they could dissect it and excavate out every useful, unique feature it has to slap on patents to prevent competition and integrate it into photoshop.
While I am going to admit Designer was my favorite of the package and an amazing tool, I always thought of it as 2D Houdini. I wouldn't go as far to assume adobe will attempt to patent visual programming.

By the way, it's the first time that I hear about "Adobe Dimension"
What kind of render it is?
- It's a biased or an unbiased one? BPR?
- It's utalizeing CPU or GPU
- Just CUDA if GPU or OpenCL as well?
- Pathtraceing, ray traceing?
- Can we render huge scenes with it?
- Can it handle sequences?

Can not find anything about it.. just some advertisment content

Give us some time and we'll let you know: i don't know the product enough yet.

thanks!

3D art is magic.

Haha, ok I have to admit that this is not the best way to showcase SP  ;D
The good this is now we can give feedback directly  :)

I had to check if my YouTube was playing in slow motion for a bit.  :o   ;D ;D ;D

I have a high amount of respect for what Allegoritmic has put forth in their software, and the great staff over there. I still hope things remain feasible for the future for everyone, including indie developers, and those doing freelance work, as well as students.

Unless something drastic happens with pricing, I don't see myself dumping Substance (being more cooled down now). There is a reason my company uses Blender and not 3DS Max or Maya. Heck, I had to use my second business just to fund my development so I hope everything remains affordable in future, and we're not forced to buy packages that include things like "Adobe Dimension". I use your products because I love what Allegorithmic has done within the years, and the innovation put forth, I don't see the same with Adobe products.

You got to wonder if Allegorithmic didn't simply see the writing on the wall

They are the cutting edge of their market = They spend money on development
  They offer the best prices for their tools = They are not bringing in as much as the could

Now competitors are entering the market, some are free to use like Blenders future add-ons while others cost. Two problem they bring are
   1. They can copy the good of SP/SD without spending the money into development
    2. If 1 holds true they can offer lower prices than Allegorithmic

Allegorithmic can easily find itself in a price war, a war thats going to hurt thanks to the above. A sellout to Adobe may have been their only choice

I share the same sediments as everyone else. Its been worded and memed better than I could.
I truly loved you guys. I will return in 5 years to lament.

Good to meet you on the forum Masterxeon1001 :-) Shame it's under these circumstances.

I just want to make something clear:
The moment Substance stops delivering standalone apps, I'm done; I may have a harder/longer workflow without it, but I'm not going to support Adobe and their Crapware Cloud.

I am so disappointed by this news. I'm not so interested in sticking around as a user/customer anymore. No joke, I don't buy adobe products. This is a sentiment shared by many.
 :'(

Nope 2.0 is the last version just had a conversation with Mr. Holmes with Product dev and custmoer support:

"It's definitely *not* being updated anymore and hasn't been for a while. Our plan was always to roll Suite functionality into the Mixer, it just needed a lot of work to get up to that point - hence the subscription service helping us fund development. Beyond that I can't speak on the subject, but I anticipate you might enjoy where we're heading with it!"

you can Get a Basic Mixer subscription for 9 us dollars  with no credits per month to the megascans library which is actually pretty amazing...

This just in about Quixel:

From the Foundry forums:
Quote from MarcinB : I hope that Adobe will remember about different pricing for Indie (single freelancers with small year income).

I share a similar sentiment...but for Quixel's upcoming Suite 3.

Teddy, Quixel founder, posted another of his heartfelt letters to his supporters on their closed-to-the-public facebook account (which someone re-posted on reddit). Basically saying Suite 3 will be standalone, it's being currently worked on, they're running out of cash but still managing. He also has indicated getting no support from Adobe when they reached out to them for issues with their existing toolset with a particular version or update to Photoshop. Basically unresponsive. (But no indication in the letter how this relates to Adobe getting in bed with Allegorithmic.)

Well, if they can release it sooner and fill the void. Attract all the disenfranchised ex-substance users into one camp again. That would help bring back "happy days" again for this particular community. And hopefully....they can copy Allegorithmic's store playbook where people have more buying options than just one. More than just a monthly subscription like what (sadly) Quixel currently offers for it's Mixer tool (but tiered, meaning you pay more depending on your revenue profile).

Support Quixel!

Here is adobe's first Allegorithmic promo.

adobe's understanding of Substance is someone trying to stamp 8 holes on a model using a toaster machine as a computer and trying to render it with the garbage called Dimension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SusZU-o_kds

FUTURE SEEMS BRIGHT!

totally sold out the company who understands Allegorithmic products and its soul.

Good luck trying to explain what 'udim' is to you bosses bosses bossess bosses bossess boss at 134234th meeting.

Adobe trying to be in 3d game, if they try to put their dirty hands on pixologic we need to start a kickstarter campaign to fund the company as much as we can.

Ugh... Yeah, it was pretty obvious that it was going to be used for this. Adobe focuses on its design and advertising side way more than it does the gaming industry.

Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 06:42:53 am

I will stop investing time in Substance Painter/Designer and revise my pipeline (once again) in order to only work with software of companies I trust (and that is no-one basically). This whole shlamazzle only points into one direction in my opinion. I for me have spend my last 60 dollars on code. No 3D Coat, no Quixel, no Marie and no ZBrush for me thank you verry much even Microsoft will have to go sooner or later in favour of a Linux computer.

I invested time and money in David 3d scanning software: eaten by HP and basically gone.

I invested time and money in Kolor: eaten by GoPro and well and truly gone

I invested time and money in Allegorithmic: eaten by Adobe and well I don't do Adobe.....

so who is next to disappoint me.....

From now on it's open source or no source.....Linux, Blender, Krita, Gimp and Inkscape will be in my toolkit and together I can get to the same results as I do using the Substance Suite, not as confortable, not a s fast, but the endresult will be more or less the same.

I was proud to use Allegorithmic because it was made by an independant software company
I was proud to use Allegorithmic because it was used by all the major studios.
I was proud to use Allegorithmic because it was made in Europe
I was proud to use Allegorithmic because it was made in France a country I know
I was proud to use Allegorithmic because it was made in Clermond Ferrand a city I know

All that changed in one mail....and yes I know you are still in Clermond, but THAT IS NOT THE POINT!

I whiched I could say Au Revoir but this is an Adieu!