Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (part 1)  (Read 106166 times)

Here is adobe's first Allegorithmic promo.

adobe's understanding of Substance is someone trying to stamp 8 holes on a model using a toaster machine as a computer and trying to render it with the garbage called Dimension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SusZU-o_kds

FUTURE SEEMS BRIGHT!

totally sold out the company who understands Allegorithmic products and its soul.

Good luck trying to explain what 'udim' is to you bosses bosses bossess bosses bossess boss at 134234th meeting.

Adobe trying to be in 3d game, if they try to put their dirty hands on pixologic we need to start a kickstarter campaign to fund the company as much as we can.

Whats up with the 10 FPS video rotations? Did they get a student to make this promo?  ;D ;D ;D

Probably recorded on a $400 laptop as to match the market they're aiming for now with their focus on "Creativity for non-artists".

Where does Adobe Dimension fall into all of this in terms of "Game Development". I've never seen this software as part of any studio workflow before, but who knows... Maybe someone uses this... It's like putting 'Substance' products which are high quality and industry standard and trying to package it with something nobody cares for. You know, the cool kids on the block having a tag along...

Now I might be wrong because I have never heard any reference to Adobe Dimension besides this video with any studio pipeline in games, so I apologize ahead of time if I'm wrong.

adobe's understanding of Substance is someone trying to stamp 8 holes on a model using a toaster machine as a computer and trying to render it with the garbage called Dimension.

FUTURE SEEMS BRIGHT!

totally sold out the company who understands Allegorithmic products and its soul.

Good luck trying to explain what 'udim' is to you bosses bosses bossess bosses bossess boss at 134234th meeting.

Adobe trying to be in 3d game, if they try to put their dirty hands on pixologic we need to start a kickstarter campaign to fund the company as much as we can.

Whats up with the 10 FPS video rotations? Did they get a student to make this promo?  ;D ;D ;D

Probably recorded on a $400 laptop as to match the market they're aiming for now with their focus on "Creativity for non-artists".

Where does Adobe Dimension fall into all of this in terms of "Game Development". I've never seen this software as part of any studio workflow before, but who knows... Maybe someone uses this... It's like putting 'Substance' products which are high quality and industry standard and trying to package it with something nobody cares for. You know, the cool kids on the block having a tag along...

Now I might be wrong because I have never heard any reference to Adobe Dimension besides this video with any studio pipeline in games, so I apologize ahead of time if I'm wrong.

Dimension was basically (at least during its beta) a really bare bones free alternative to something like Keyshot, until it exited beta and got a price tag. It was 'okay' I guess, I got a few decent renders out of it. Problem is it's pretty much useless for anyone hobbyist or above, they will do Keyshot, Blender, or IRay renders of their stuff. That video TERRIFIES me because it tells me that Adobe sees Substance as a tool for casual nobodies to fuck around with out of curiosity, to create their newest instagram image that their friends and family can drop a Like on, not a tool for professionals to create to industry leading digital assets.

I've had a nagging doubt in my mind since the announcement that Adobe bought Allegorithmic for 1 real reason, to farm potential patent options out of Substance Designer. Design is, as someone put it early in this thread, a pink diamond. There is NOTHING else out there that offers the same toolset or concept focus. Designer is something that, unlike Painter, can actually have a lot of uses for 2D applications. I fear Adobe bought Allegorithmic so they could dissect it and excavate out every useful, unique feature it has to slap on patents to prevent competition and integrate it into photoshop.
Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 09:21:06 pm

Is it me, or have quite a lot of comments gone awol? 

Wow, I never seen so many negativity across the board (Social Media). No matter how your Adobe Staff sugarcoats and persuade confidence, they just get buried by negative responses. In light, I saw some die-hard fans who like the CC approach (of course they weren’t many). You guys have like 1K+ reactions on Facebook that most of it is Sad Faces, Angry Faces, Laughing Faces, and Shocked Faces. At least you guys have over 100 thumbs up.

Well, when you guys announce Substance now in CC, I’m sure it’ll get better. You even got some people already on CC who never touched a 3D application excited. You guys were prepared for this though, so I can’t wait for your next big announcement that will overturned all this negativity.

PS: it really is quite entertaining, its like watching a soap opera. You definitely got people glued to their seats for sure.

Thanks Xathian,

I just wanted to see why they would even reference Substance products as being part of such a workflow that includes "Adobe Dimension". We already know they will be integrating Substance into Creative Cloud, but by even suggesting we're going to use "Adobe Dimension" along side Painter??? Yea right...  ;D

Is it me, or have quite a lot of comments gone awol?

It may be damage control. On every single forum I've been on (polycount, youtube, reddit, even Sebastian's "Peter Jackson moment" on medium.com) there are a whole lot of comments by confused and angry people. It's quite possible Substance will lose most of its user-base and all of its rep.

I'm just speculating though. I saw one of my comments deleted and I have to agree, maybe it was a bit lewd for this thread.
Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 09:31:57 pm
3D art is magic.

We welcome the criticism, expression of apprehension and feedback, but we will not tolerate profanity, threats or outright trolling, like any other community wouldn't either.

It's quite possible Substance will lose most of its user-base and all of its rep.

I doubt it. I suspect the losses will the indie's, but studios with larger cashflows will remain. That is the Adobe way.

We welcome the criticism, expression of apprehension and feedback, but we will not tolerate profanity, threats or outright trolling, like any other community wouldn't either.

Whatever you guys decide for your company, you deserve better than that. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

Jeremie, what was the goal of the survey 10 days ago?
To Give Adobe users database?
To monitor how many of your user subscribed to CC already?
Who is the winner?

Jeremie, what was the goal of the survey 10 days ago?
To Give Adobe users database?
To monitor how many of your user subscribed to CC already?
Who is the winner?

We send out the same general survey every year around that time to have a sense of where the 3D world is gearing towards. It helps us define where our own products are going and what we should work on next or improve.

There was no question related to Creative Cloud or Adobe in the survey.
Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 10:29:05 pm

ROFL yea maybe I've got it wrong. Maybe they're going dumb down the software.

That video looks like it was made by someone who has no idea what a .fbx is.

Yea, I just wanted to say, that the inverse of your first premonition that will happen.

I also have intuitions, in my opinion Adobe will buy C4D as well to have a complete 3D pack with a modeling DCC tool.

And you was right in your previous post that everything is getting more easier and more accessible in the world of 3D DCC tools, but lets be honest, with these "easy" tool ppl can make the same templates... it's not art!

The future and specially the PRO segment of the future 3D art will not shut out Indi artists, it's flagship is already sailed out, it's called: Houdini Indi  8)
And one more thing: compositing, sculpting will always be a thing.. no matter what instant templates some of these softwares will offer, there always will be an artist who will sculpt better, composite better based on his talent.
Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 10:38:20 pm

FUTURE SEEMS BRIGHT!

Dimension was basically (at least during its beta) a really bare bones free alternative to something like Keyshot, until it exited beta and got a price tag. It was 'okay' I guess, I got a few decent renders out of it. Problem is it's pretty much useless for anyone hobbyist or above, they will do Keyshot, Blender, or IRay renders of their stuff. That video TERRIFIES me because it tells me that Adobe sees Substance as a tool for casual nobodies to fuck around with out of curiosity, to create their newest instagram image that their friends and family can drop a Like on, not a tool for professionals to create to industry leading digital assets.

I've had a nagging doubt in my mind since the announcement that Adobe bought Allegorithmic for 1 real reason, to farm potential patent options out of Substance Designer. Design is, as someone put it early in this thread, a pink diamond. There is NOTHING else out there that offers the same toolset or concept focus. Designer is something that, unlike Painter, can actually have a lot of uses for 2D applications. I fear Adobe bought Allegorithmic so they could dissect it and excavate out every useful, unique feature it has to slap on patents to prevent competition and integrate it into photoshop.

this video is TERRIFYING indeed.
1)So adobe was on board for the last 2 years and thats how they showcase painter? even with 10 minutes youtube search you can figure out a way better 10 sec promo video material for substance.

2)lag is hilarious actually. See your substance in 2 years. Lagy, never gets usefull updates (ofcourse we killed linux) , left to death software.
Or

A company which creates design applications over 20 years MUST know lag is NO GOOD right
Right?
hahahahahah. damn.

By the way, it's the first time that I hear about "Adobe Dimension"
What kind of render it is?
- It's a biased or an unbiased one? BPR?
- It's utalizeing CPU or GPU
- Just CUDA if GPU or OpenCL as well?
- Pathtraceing, ray traceing?
- Can we render huge scenes with it?
- Can it handle sequences?

Can not find anything about it.. just some advertisment content

Haha, ok I have to admit that this is not the best way to showcase SP  ;D
The good this is now we can give feedback directly  :)