Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (part 1)  (Read 101863 times)

This just in about Quixel:

From the Foundry forums:
Quote from MarcinB : I hope that Adobe will remember about different pricing for Indie (single freelancers with small year income).

I share a similar sentiment...but for Quixel's upcoming Suite 3.

Teddy, Quixel founder, posted another of his heartfelt letters to his supporters on their closed-to-the-public facebook account (which someone re-posted on reddit). Basically saying Suite 3 will be standalone, it's being currently worked on, they're running out of cash but still managing. He also has indicated getting no support from Adobe when they reached out to them for issues with their existing toolset with a particular version or update to Photoshop. Basically unresponsive. (But no indication in the letter how this relates to Adobe getting in bed with Allegorithmic.)

Well, if they can release it sooner and fill the void. Attract all the disenfranchised ex-substance users into one camp again. That would help bring back "happy days" again for this particular community. And hopefully....they can copy Allegorithmic's store playbook where people have more buying options than just one. More than just a monthly subscription like what (sadly) Quixel currently offers for it's Mixer tool (but tiered, meaning you pay more depending on your revenue profile).

Support Quixel!

Was never a fan of Quixel, but had I known it would come to this, I would have probably supported them instead. Main reason I went substance route is to dodge adobe.

Our perpetuals should serve us fine for a few years, which I hope would be enough for competition to emerge with decent products as an alternative.

Allegorithmic has always surprised me with its aproach and interaction on the community. Also all the integrations with sketchfab, unity, maya, etc (Would've loved to see a blender integration) . its a pleasure to work with your software and tools. I wish you all good luck, and will be following closely your news.

This was just too funny on Reddit.

Sorry Adobe (formerly known as Allegorithmic), but you expected this, right.

Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 06:47:46 pm

This was just too funny on Reddit

It is funny, but also sad

This just in about Quixel:

Teddy, Quixel founder, posted another of his heartfelt letters to his supporters on their closed-to-the-public facebook account (which someone re-posted on reddit). Basically saying Suite 3 will be standalone, it's being currently worked on, they're running out of cash but still managing. He also has indicated getting no support from Adobe when they reached out to them for issues with their existing toolset with a particular version or update to Photoshop. Basically unresponsive. (But no indication in the letter how this relates to Adobe getting in bed with Allegorithmic.)

Well, if they can release it sooner and fill the void. Attract all the disenfranchised ex-substance users into one camp again. That would help bring back "happy days" again for this particular community.

Sounds to me like Adobe decided to focus on Allegorithmic and leave Quixel in the dust. A stand alone sounds inviting, and Quixel have an opportunity to grab some of the market now, but their website is shocking for explaining what DDO and NDO software do (basically it doesn't). Their main focus seems to be MegaScans, Mixer and Bridge.  Oh well, their loss...

I'll stick to the version of SP I have since I have perpetual license (as long as that remains 'perpetual'...).

3D Coat is good software but it's yet another example of a product being dumped on steam and not supported on steam. Dev is not active on steam discussion area, sometimes the software is not discounted in the big sales, sometimes steam version is not updated when the program is updated on main web site etc. And the EULA needs to be updated on steam too apparently.

The license for the Steam version is the same as the "official" version, you can activate your Steam 3D Coat, and then download the installer for the current version (or beta) from their website and upon fired up it will read the license information  from the Steam installation, and it will be ready to use.

I find 3D Coat sculpting to be quite fast (thanks to the GPU acceleration), its adaptive subdivision is faster than ZBrush's Sculptris Pro, give it a try for that too.

I was thinking the same at some point. If they needed more money to develop some more features and stuff or needed more money for new hires... I'd be willing to pay more... So the perpetual license for Substance Painter which I use is 149$... That's a good price for what you get. I would probably have been able to pay more. Up to 200...230 maybe..  As long as I would know that this is mine, I can use it whenever I want for as long as I want... As was stated... I'm sure like someone said some people might even donate. Some would even jump through hoops of fire as long as it didn't go to Adobe...  If you said: Help us out here, we need more money to take things to the next level, we have to increase prices a bit, we hope you understand, people would probably be fine with that. People want to support an independent company that creates a very good product for a decent price.

Agreed. Now I am speaking for myself here as I know many others have very tight budgets and cannot afford it but for me had Allegorithmic said they either needed to double the rent-to-own and perpetual license costs to continue and stay independent I would have done it with a smile if it kept Adobe away.

I do not want Creative Cloud. I do not want a $60 monthly never ending license with no perpetual that I have to pay cancellation fees to get out of.

OK having worked through my initial emotions and skepticism, I actually think in the long run this is going to be great.  Perhaps not great for hobbyists, due to the licensing, but I'm not a hobbyist.  Anyway, most people's hobbies can get very expensive.  This is mild in comparison.

There are many more talented people in the industry than myself, but I do manage to earn a decent wage doing what I do. (3D generalist and 3D/2D animator)

So for me, I'm already using Adobe CC.  It's a prerequisite for anyone working in the industry professionally.  Do I like that I need to stay locked in with Adobe?  no.  But it is what it is.  And I don't understand how in the world people think it's more expensive being on CC.  Unless maybe they were only updating once every 3 or 4 years at most (as a hobbyist perhaps).

Before CC I was staying on the new versions out of necessity because my clients are agencies and other artists who use Adobe products.  It was MUCH more expensive before CC.  Now I pay around $700 a year, not $1800 or whatever the video production bundle used to be.

I also use C4D - $725 a year.  Yes it's perpetual...but I stay on top of the new versions for compatibility with other artists and agencies I work with, so perpetual means squat to me at this time.  That doesn't mean I don't understand the fear and anger surrounding the licensing as it pertains to some individuals.

At first I was shocked and saddened and a little pissed about this announcement.  But I do think this situation is different than the other cases people are basing their fear on.  I could be totally wrong, and if so, then so be it.  I'm going to keep on creating whether I'm using Allegorithmic/Adobe or Quixel or 3DCoat or whatever. 

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Substance suite.  It's a JOY to work with and I literally giggled out loud when I first installed it and started working in it, and now 2 years later I still giggle when I look at a nice preview of a PBR I created in SD then painted it on a model in SP.

I hope for everyone else that the licensing works out to your favor.  I truly do.  But my biggest concerns have more to do with future plans and how it affects my pipeline. 

I honestly think this future looks like it could be bright.

Thank you Wes and team for all your hard work, and for enduring the outcry (expected, I'm sure) from the userbase. 

I sincerely hope that you all succeed within the mothership and continue to forge the way ahead for many years to come.

P.S.  My initial reaction was not at all unlike some of the reactions here...but I vented to my wife and a few close friends about it.  haha  They didn't understand, but it let me get it off my chest.

I'm in a better place now.

My motto on this matter (until proven wrong):
Less complaint, more paintâ„¢

Here is adobe's first Allegorithmic promo.

adobe's understanding of Substance is someone trying to stamp 8 holes on a model using a toaster machine as a computer and trying to render it with the garbage called Dimension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SusZU-o_kds

FUTURE SEEMS BRIGHT!

totally sold out the company who understands Allegorithmic products and its soul.

Good luck trying to explain what 'udim' is to you bosses bosses bossess bosses bossess boss at 134234th meeting.

Adobe trying to be in 3d game, if they try to put their dirty hands on pixologic we need to start a kickstarter campaign to fund the company as much as we can.

I personally am hoping for Blender to step up. Overall, 3D art is becoming a lot more recreational. It's easier nowadays, and it's more fun and accessible. There has to be tools for the passionate indie guy.

I speculate that the Allegordobe team is aiming higher up the food chain. (It is my assumption)They're wanting to shake off the little guys and become a premium sub-only solution to the AAA industry, and possibly for films. Indie teams and the newer generation of artists aren't going to have that option unless they can comfortably afford it.

The majority of 3D artists on the earth will be common people who are artistically inclined, who do it for fun and love doing it without money as a factor. For those people, whom Allegordobe is (my opinion) going to graciously shake off like annoying fleas, there needs to be a fun software alternative that still gives competent high-end results.

I'm hoping that ends up being Blender. It's the one truly awesome tool for the passionate indie guy, and it does its job well.
3D art is magic.

adobe's understanding of Substance is someone trying to stamp 8 holes on a model using a toaster machine as a computer and trying to render it with the garbage called Dimension.

FUTURE SEEMS BRIGHT!

totally sold out the company who understands Allegorithmic products and its soul.

Good luck trying to explain what 'udim' is to you bosses bosses bossess bosses bossess boss at 134234th meeting.

Adobe trying to be in 3d game, if they try to put their dirty hands on pixologic we need to start a kickstarter campaign to fund the company as much as we can.

Whats up with the 10 FPS video rotations? Did they get a student to make this promo?  ;D ;D ;D

I share the same sediments as everyone else. Its been worded and memed better than I could.
I truly loved you guys. I will return in 5 years to lament.

FUTURE SEEMS BRIGHT!

Whats up with the 10 FPS video rotations? Did they get a student to make this promo?  ;D ;D ;D

Probably recorded on a $400 laptop as to match the market they're aiming for now with their focus on "Creativity for non-artists".

ROFL yea maybe I've got it wrong. Maybe they're going dumb down the software.

That video looks like it was made by someone who has no idea what a .fbx is.
3D art is magic.

ROFL yea maybe I've got it wrong. Maybe they're going dumb down the software.

That video looks like it was made by someone who has no idea what a .fbx is.

The lagging looks like the app was run on an iPad... Whats that supposed to tell us? The person demonstrating has no idea what he is doing?