Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (part 1)  (Read 113507 times)

I am wondering if I have a one-year educational license then will that be affected when Adobe decides to place Substance into a new "offering".

In an article from slashgear.com by Chris Burns, he quotes, "'Adobe will announce an update on new offerings that'" will bring the two tools together. I get it that Adobe and Allegorithmic have worked together before on the standard PBR and this is great if you guys want to do more like the integration of Substance SDK, but please don't force people into crazy subscription packages.

I have been paying for the creative cloud for a year now under the student discount. It costs me $20 plus tax, but after one year it now costs me $30 plus tax. So, I was considering canceling because I only use photoshop and I can just use the PCs at school for that. I don't need it. Please don't force me to pay $30 a month just to use Substance, and waste the rest of it.

Z-Brush looks difficult to learn though, some say the UI is annoying...
How about 3DCoat?

If you do sculpting of any kind ZBrush is the undisputed king.  Nobody seriously even tries to compete with them on their turf.  I can't do box modeling so for me zbrush is simply amazing and a godsend.  Zbrush can't replace substance though :(

They have a new uv plugin coming out though so maybe next step for them after that will to be to add 500 buttons to UI to compete with painter.  Seriously though you just need to learn what buttons are important to you and customize your UI.  Once you do that it's not so bad.

I don’t dig the hate and why everybody leaves the substance train. - I mean there’s nothing changed. Designer and Painter are still awesome and people do amazing things right now as it is. Period.

I'm running a business as well and can say it is really hard to keep everyone paid. It’s a pretty big relief to have a big company to back you up and just concentrate on your product. Adobe wants to put a foot into the 3d realm and this is how you do it. If Adobe didn’t do it, sometime soon Autodesk would be standing on the porch. So I think Adobe isn’t the worst way around. Let the guys prove that they’re staying true to their words.

Congrats to Allegorithmic and all the best for your future.
Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 07:32:20 am

I was on my medication for depression and anxiety and i was getting better until this news triggerd them both. Good job.

Are posts being deleted here or am I going crazy ?

Are posts being deleted here or am I going crazy ?

No. You're not going crazy. And considering the comments that aren't being removed, I'd say those that are have gone way over the line.

This is not good news. Adobe will bring in subscription only and you can say goodbye to perpetual licenses. Notice how it was said that the licenses will remain the same, "for now". The Subscription business model is a direct result of corporate greed. You are a user of our software and you will pay 1000's a year to do so. So Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe's , Autodesks, Ubisofts , Activisions and EA's of the world, very sad. I don't know how you thought this news was going to be received well.

Guys, I am reasonably certain they are not going to gut the programs, maybe change them a bit but not completely. A lot of huge video game companies have a lot of stake in Substance and they are not going to just stand and see their workflows being ruined overnight, even if it is Adobe we are talking about. They might not care about the little guy but I bet they care what companies like EA, Activision or Bethesda have to say if they piss them off. Even if the worst case scenario comes to pass I doubt it will happen overnight. So overall, I expect the programs to remain the same, at least for a while.

Been looking at 3DCoat and Z-Brush. They look interesting but come with a higher pricetag. Especially Z-Brush. Forget about Mari. 2000$?? get outta here.

ZBrush may cost a little more but once you buy its yours for life with upgrades for life. I bought my copy of ZBrush in 2007. Its the same license, more than 10 years of updates, not a penny more was asked of me. But you know what, because they didn't push me to buy or pay for upgrades or do anything underhanded I bought more licenses for my home computer and my work computer, and converted a few coworkers into liking and using ZBrush.

Pixologic is a company that has done everything right in terms of customer focus and customer priority. Other companies should take a good hard look at Pixologic and do what they did. Thats how you become a stable long term and loved company.

3D Coat has a serious problem that should send every artist screaming in the opposite direction. They've terminated and revoke licenses on the personal opinion of the owners that the artists work was obscene (like creating a nude sculpture,  a nude human form, excessive gore, or that felt it belittled or demeaned their religion) without refund.

See their own personal statement here:

https://3dcoat.com/about-us/our-voice/

I personally would never financially support a company that will actively take their personal beliefs into action with how they treat customers and their own personal works of art.
Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 08:12:00 am

To the Adobe Staff formerly known as Allegorithmic (You said having a 5-letter word will be better, You were right).

You guys will probably not going to answer this, but you said you guys were prepared. So, you guys were really prepared of having over 40 pages of mostly negative reviews? I know some people step out of line and those had to be deleted (gotta keep at least a decent image). You even got the Foundry forums fired up. That place never got that busy LOL. Its also sad that you drove away some users to your competitors. Look at 3d Coat forums. Man, if they had a sale right now….

I wonder how prepared were you? Also, do you have any good news that doesn’t include CC in the future. It’ll ease a lot of people.
Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 09:02:01 am

Well, this is depressing.
You chose the worst of the worst. Adobe is not a software company. They don't care about values or inovation. They don't care about software in general. Just a fun fact: I had the "oportunity" to attend an Adobe workshop about one of their products some time ago and I can tell you for granted that they don't have a clue about software developement in general.  One of their guys attending this workshop asked me if I know how to do a copy/paste on a mac book. :) And he was supposed to teach me about their awsome product. That company is full of paper-pushers who don't know how to operate their laptops - just business mans and sales people.

But you don't have to believe me. You had your red flags all in front of you, all the time:
- They buried at least 40 companies already(you can find the list on wikipedia)
- They bougth you on borrowed money from an investment bank most likely. These guys don't have any money of their own
- Adobe has no free educational license for kids. What kind of monster is that?
- They don't offer any kind of perpetual license anymore..
- No love for indie developers
- They kiled mixamo fuse. Now it's free, but the application is not starting anymore :) Even what's free from adobe can't be used
- Flash and adobe reader bloatware
- CC malware running illigal processes even when I explicitly tell it to do not run at startup
- they are exclusively enterprise oriented

And this list can go on and on forever.. this company is a dying dinosaur trying to take everyone else with them in their grave

Well, at least I hope you don't get fully integrated with their bloatware, but probably this is just a false hope on my side.

WTF!? I was really interested in getting a 3dcoat pro license, but.... dafuq did i just read!?

WTF!? I was really interested in getting a 3dcoat pro license, but.... dafuq did i just read!?

That is old news, I still have mine and lots of people and students use it. I went to UCF with over 60 thousand students. Look at Artstation. People use it because they have the best painterly style software out there but Substance is known for realism.

It really is a great program.

Been looking at 3DCoat and Z-Brush. They look interesting but come with a higher pricetag. Especially Z-Brush. Forget about Mari. 2000$?? get outta here.

ZBrush may cost a little more but once you buy its yours for life with upgrades for life. I bought my copy of ZBrush in 2007. Its the same license, more than 10 years of updates, not a penny more was asked of me. But you know what, because they didn't push me to buy or pay for upgrades or do anything underhanded I bought more licenses for my home computer and my work computer, and converted a few coworkers into liking and using ZBrush.

Pixologic is a company that has done everything right in terms of customer focus and customer priority. Other companies should take a good hard look at Pixologic and do what they did. Thats how you become a stable long term and loved company.

3D Coat has a serious problem that should send every artist screaming in the opposite direction. They've terminated and revoke licenses on the personal opinion of the owners that the artists work was obscene (like creating a nude sculpture,  a nude human form, excessive gore, or that felt it belittled or demeaned their religion) without refund.

See their own personal statement here:

I personally would never financially support a company that will actively take their personal beliefs into action with how they treat customers and their own personal works of art.

Ahahaha, oh my goodness, take a look at this. Yeah, they are not a viable alternative. Basically, do not use it for anything fun or interesting or you might get banned.

We would be really happy if 3DCoat could be used to create beautiful works of art to inspire and bring joy, and not provoke hatred, aggression to people, wizardry, witchcraft, addiction or carnality. We are mostly Christian team, so this question is especially sharp for us because we know that God's law treats hatred as murder and infidelity in mind as real adultery, and consequences of our sins influence the whole life.

Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 08:33:07 am

That is old news, I still have mine and lots of people and students use it. I went to UCF with over 60 thousand students. Look at Artstation. People use it because they have the best painterly style software out there but Substance is known for realism.

It really is a great program.

yeah, Iknow it´s a great program. I´ve downloaded the tryal version in the past and I think it´s more user friendly than zbrush (my own personal preference....) but I didn´t know about their... uhm, spiritual restrictions over the software.

Anyways , back to substance. We´see how is this evolving and let´s hope the best.

peace.