Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (part 1)  (Read 82216 times)

This will more than likely make me decide to no longer be a customer. A sad day indeed.

Extremely disappointed, ruined my day, what else can I say?

Plan to hang with substance until they start to throw cc garbage (manager etc) into their installers, and/or give a cut off date for moving from indie subscription to perpetual license. after that I will not be a return customer.

Until today Allegorithmic was one of my favorite/most watched companies...

This is sad news.
I do not share the general animosity towards adobe or even its subscription model, and I do not claim to be able to see the future of Substance. But I do have a problem with large shareholder owned tech companies buying more and more smaller, potentially competing companies. I think if our politicians were doing their job, acquisitions like this should be prevented by anti-trust laws. Mergers and acquisitions by ever larger monopolies are not ""exciting news" for customers - competition is.

Sadly its the main way todays.
The only alternative is open source.
It's why from time to time i make donation to the blender foundation even if i'm a C4D user.

Thats really nice of you, that you donate to Blender!  8)
But to be honest Maxon is a greedy company as well 3600 dollar for a c4D studio? hahah and you have to pay + for X-particles  :D
My software pack that I use and I PAYED FOR:
- Zbrush (the full pack is actually superior!)
- Houdini Indi (they give you everything: maya lvl rigging, even muscle sim that is missing from maya lt, particle, volume simulations, BEST retopo tool, procedural modeling and since 17.0 polyDraw - kind an ortodox polymodeling way, built in render engine)
- Substance (???all we can do is hoping untill they finaly anonce what can we expect)
- Blender (of course)
- Davinci Resolve (it knows everything! And even the free version has Fusion!)

Now, what I would need from CC? With the above software pack... Dimension? Aero? (pardon me but... ;D)

Lets be honest, there is one cool bundel that Adobe sells: the photo bundle: lightroom + PS + Fuse + Adobe portfolio for 6 euro / month - no doubt, thats a good one!

What's going to happen to people who bought Designer and Painter on STEAM?
Will I still be able to use these tools 3 years from now? 5 years from now or will they disappear abruptly from my STEAM library one day?

Will I still be able to use these tools 3 years from now? 5 years from now or will they disappear abruptly from my STEAM library one day?

Mixamo did the same thing basically. Sold themselves to Adobe, went on the forums proclaiming how they were going to still be the same company, yadda yadda they're basically dead now. Their software now a web based tool with no updates to be seen.

Anyway they had a Steam version, when Adobe killed bought them the version on Steam remained but it was made incompatible with any current version or the website itself and never updated it again.

So expect Substance on Steam to continue being there but you will be given no option to upgrade or renew, lose Substance Source and likely have your access to future assets (smart materials, materials, smart masks, filters, etc) cut off as the Adobe versions will likely be locked away from backward compatibility.

Basically your current version except nothing else can be added to it.

This thread is hilarious

Will will have more info on this later on, but what I can commit on is that the licenses will never disappear :)

Will will have more info on this later on, but what I can commit on is that the licenses will never disappear :)

Funny how you both proclaim you're the same company and Adobe isn't taking over your business but on the other hand can't answer a single god damn question without alluding to "for now", "later", "in the mean time".

This thread is hilarious

Well, a lot of us had a "David Lynch Moment" today.

Thanks for easing my worries Jeremie.
This is really distressing but I want to clarify that as a person (rather than my feelings as a customer), I am glad for Allegorithmic's success. At the end of the day, we all want to turn our passion into financial reward. I wish you and everyone else at Allegorithmic the best of luck.

This thread

We're all for listening to feedback and discussing with you but for the love of the holy spaghetti monster, please stop predicting a future we know much more about than you do.

All will be cleared up in due time and your fears will be defused.
Nothing personal against you Jeremie but I really hope this thread is going to wind up on archive.is because in 18 months time I really want to be able to say "we told you so". The future is being predicted because this has opened over and over again - we all know exactly how it's going to play out.

The question I want answered is: "Will Adobe honor the ability to purchase the perpetual licenses for people who are now currently under the indie subscription licensing scheme"?

Just look what happened when new investors/new board took control of Unity. They first said "no no, you'll always be able to buy perpetual licenses we guarantee it". One year later, "sorry subscription only".

I signed up for your indie subscription for the sole fact you stated I could buy perpetual licenses when the term was complete .... if Adobe takes that away from us .... it will be quite ugly (its essentially a breach of purchase contract and will probably cause a class-action against Allegorithmic/Adobe).

The question I want answered is: "Will Adobe honor the ability to purchase the perpetual licenses for people who are now currently under the indie subscription licensing scheme"?

Just look what happened when new investors/new board took control of Unity. They first said "no no, you'll always be able to buy perpetual licenses we guarantee it". One year later, "sorry subscription only".

I signed up for your indie subscription for the sole fact you stated I could buy perpetual licenses when the term was complete .... if Adobe takes that away from us .... it will be quite ugly (its essentially a breach of purchase contract and will probably cause a class-action against Allegorithmic/Adobe).

It's not a breech of contract because the entity you made that contract with, Allegorithmic, was dissolved and Adobe as their purchasee temporarily carried the licensing forward. This is not the first time licenses have been invalidated for software because of buy outs. The perpetual license agreement terms you agreed to do not have a clause for cessation of the servers nor corporate transfer. Once Allegorithmic ceases to exist as the entity it was when you purchase your license, then your license is worth as much as the kleenex you blow your nose with, and nothing the Staff members in this thread say will change that, their promises are rainbows and unicorn dust, they mean nothing, they don't control Substance anymore.

They've stabbed us all in the back
Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 02:42:59 am

Damn. This is pretty awful news, and judging by your community's reactions here, on Reddit, Twitter, etc. I'm not alone in that thought. And your constant replies of "nothing will change FOR NOW" is disconcerting and worrying. Adobe is playing the monopoly game and institutes a whole hell of a lot of anti-consumer practices that drove me personally away from using their software. I don't want to look at this as doom and gloom but one has to call it as they see it and this really just reeks of a cash grab. I am not at all excited about what we, the users, have to look forward to with this.

There are other great tools and programs out there that I'm sure will use this opportunity to attract a lot of your (ex)paying customers, and when the time comes I won't hesitate to jump ship. This is a sad day.

It's not a breech of contract because the entity you made that contract with, Allegorithmic, was dissolved and Adobe as their purchasee temporarily carried the licensing forward. This is not the first time licenses have been invalidated for software because of buy outs.

Depends on what country you live in when you "signed" the agreement. In Canada we have specific laws that prevent companies from using buyouts and mergers as excuses to not honor the original terms of the agreement. In order for the agreement to be legally altered, both parties must come an agreement to officially amend the original contract. If one side alters it without explicit agreement of both parties, then its a breach. And leaves the option for legal action and heavy fines.