Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (part 1)  (Read 74154 times)

This thread

We're all for listening to feedback and discussing with you but for the love of the holy spaghetti monster, please stop predicting a future we know much more about than you do.

All will be cleared up in due time and your fears will be defused.

Funny thing about this post? It is the same stuff Mixamo said on the steam forums after Adobe bought them out

What happened to FUSE? Sure it is still around but they took features out and no one uses it

Hiya.

:(

I left Adobe 15 years ago and never looked back. I was just going to re-up my license just a few minutes ago. Then got this email informing me. Uh...huh. Serendipity I guess? No re-upping for me until I see how this plays out.

I, like others, think this will ultimately be a bad move on Allegorithmics part. Hope I'm wrong, but history doesn't point to a happy outcome.

There's always my sub to Mari I guess. *sigh* Substance is just so easy to use though! Sad to see Adobe at the helm now.

Oh well. So long! And thanks for all the fish!

^_^

Paul L. Ming

In reading the blogs, Allegorithmic survived and flourished perfectly fine for 15 years, then two years ago Adobe joined the Alegorithmic board and suddenly budget targets had to be met (presuming bigger profits) which then led to Athegorithmic to sell to Adobe.

As a small company, we always had to meet targets, simply to stay in business. The arrival of Adobe did not change that, we had other investors before Adobe came along. Any startup or small company is lucky if it makes any profit at all, and every cent of that profit for the past few years has been reinjected in new hires, hardware and offices.

We were acquired by Adobe because it made sense for the strategy of both companies, not because we were forced to.

Thats all good! I'm happy to hear it that you all in a good shape thanks to selling out the company.
Just tell me one thing:
- I bought (basically a month ago) a full year Substance Indi license BECOUSE I wanted to supplement it to a permanent license in the end of the yearly sub.
- I'm a small company as well, I'm happy if I make any profit as well, AND i ALSO INVEST EVERY PROFIT TO REINJECT TO MY COMPANY THIS IS HOW i BOUGHT SUBSTANCE for example.

What will happen with my bought 1 year subscription, but most important: will I be able to buy out my perma license in the end of the year sub?
- Should I give it up? (I do not wanna invest more that the + 40 dollar for the perma license in the end of the yearly sub) It's important for me to know these answers, since I do not wanna build up my pipeline around something that I have to pirate later on (of course it's posible, but if I have options, I rather dodge that scenario)

Substance is here to stay, and you don't have to worry about anything.
Will we have new business models and will we make changes in the future? Of course, as we always did in the past. But when this happens we always warn our users and offer them fair offers. This is how we built ourselves, and how we will continue working.

thanks for your answer!

So the following FAQ page is still viable and will be in a year from now. So if someone buys a year subscription based on reading that sub system description, you can confirm, that he will have the option, the benefit to redeem a permanent license?
https://www.allegorithmic.com/faq-substance

You sold your soul, buddies.
@Developers: Flee as fast as you can!
Not a single developer wants to leave right now. ;)

Yeah, give it a few years, there will be nothing left of allegorithmic or how the software became beloved. You guys need to undo whatever agreement you had fast, join Epic instead, work with them, they are a very reasonable company.
But i guess its pointless even if half the userbase reacts negatively "you guys will see it will be great" thats what is said every time and every time it all detereorates.

My Company was bought out by a fortune 500..."Nothing will change they said...  Lost 900+ accounts in one year, and I left.  I Used to trust adobe and even held them in high regard until the pay to play nonsense.  If only Macromedia hadn't sold out, Look at mixamo and fuse...  What a shame.

This thread

We're all for listening to feedback and discussing with you but for the love of the holy spaghetti monster, please stop predicting a future we know much more about than you do.

All will be cleared up in due time and your fears will be defused.

Let me predict this.... Creative Cloud.

I think most of us don´t like that business model.

the rest of the story, I´m pretty sure that new and exciting things are yet to come from you, guys. Too bad it´s gonna be under the creative cloud, from which I fled as of the plague  :-\

At Adobe, what will not change is our passion for making great products, our attachment to our core values, our respect and care for our customers, an absolute focus on quality and support, and the high standards we strive for. All of the values I see in Adobe, in fact.

I have to disagree with that last sentence (actually, I laughed out loud - have you ever experienced Adobe customer support ? ? ? ? ? ? ). I think there's a big mismatch between Allegorithmic's values and implementation of those, and Adobe's....
Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 12:51:11 am

Dear Allegorithmic,

You have traded your loyal customers for detached investors.

You have replaced your independent spirit with corporate whim.

You were the face of change and innovation, but now you are just an acquisition.

This is about money and Sébastien Deguy's greed. If he was so determined to work for Adobe to "bring about 3D innovation", why did he need to drag Allegorithmic along with him. Why didn't he leave? Was Allegorithmic on the verge of bankruptcy? Was the profit made from thousands of indie and professional artists using your products not enough to make ends meet? Were you having problems keeping the lights on?

You were setting a new standard. Individual freelance artists, small game and VFX studios, and even large AAA companies from around the world were using your products. How then did you even need Adobe for anything? Did Adobe have some kind of dirt or embarrassing information on Sébastien Deguy? If you really needed help from a company that insists on treating their customers like nothing more than money printing machines?

This is a slap in the face to every single one of us that have loyally  purchased and used your products over the past 15 years. I don't speak for everyone here, but I know that myself and others do not want to give money to Adobe. I don't like how they do business. I do not condone ongoing product "services" over a single purchase product. This is why I chose to do business with you. This is why I chose to purchase and learn Substance Designer and Substance Painter. I chose to align myself with an independent company over a large, publicly traded corporation.

I'll be stepping away from your products from now on. The 2019 suite should work fine for the time being until I can find another independent application to replace it with. No more of my hard-earned money needs to go to you or the horrible company you sold yourselves to.

You have let me down. You have let us all down. I cannot express just how utterly disappointed I am in Allegorithmic.

Adobe and Autodesk are the two major black holes in software industry that keep on swallowing smaller companies. It doesn’t matter how for we try to runaway from it. we will end up in their doorstep again because eventually they will buyout everyone.

And the Swallowed responded almost verbatim to what I read now..... I hope someone can remember a positive outcome of such a 'joining', sadly I can't.
Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 01:00:55 am

This is sad news.
I do not share the general animosity towards adobe or even its subscription model, and I do not claim to be able to see the future of Substance. But I do have a problem with large shareholder owned tech companies buying more and more smaller, potentially competing companies. I think if our politicians were doing their job, acquisitions like this should be prevented by anti-trust laws. Mergers and acquisitions by ever larger monopolies are not ""exciting news" for customers - competition is.

This is sad news.
I do not share the general animosity towards adobe or even its subscription model, and I do not claim to be able to see the future of Substance. But I do have a problem with large shareholder owned tech companies buying more and more smaller, potentially competing companies. I think if our politicians were doing their job, acquisitions like this should be prevented by anti-trust laws. Mergers and acquisitions by ever larger monopolies are not ""exciting news" for customers - competition is.

Absolutely. We are given less and less choice of who to choose from for products.

Let me start by saying, it would be hypocritical of me to not be happy for Allegorithmic…if I were in the same position, I too would take the deal. I can totally understand the “Peter Jackson Moment” that Sebastien feels. (Despite that somehow feeling to be a poor metaphor seeing what hell the LoTR movies caused actors in New Zealand.)…I digress.

I would take the deal and skip away to the bank. Only time will tell what will actually happen in the long run...I choose to be optimistic...yet cautiously so.

However, for me, being located outside of the US the acquisition has quite a different slant on many levels. So let me change hats and also take the opportunity as a Substance user to vocalize my personal biggest concern:

For those of us who use Substance products and are located in countries that are Region-locked by Adobe, will the acquisition affect our ability to continue to access Substance products in the near or foreseeable future?

P.S. There are probably legal reasons why Allegorithmic staff cannot answer with specifics on particular matters...Hence the "For now"s and so forth. The ink is still drying on whatever papers they have signed. I will wait until things are ironed out and iron-clad so they can speak with better authority.
Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 05:31:19 am

This is about money and Sébastien Deguy's greed.

Not sure about greed - there's something else. You should check his post at medium...

As most others have already posted, I just want to echo that this is terrible news.  I hate the Adobe subscription model so much I'm still using a perpetual license of CS6... last one offered.  I stopped using Maya unless a job requires it due to the subscription (using Modo).  I haven't really had much of a chance to use Substance for my current work, but have kept my indie license for Painter and Designer updated.  Nothing will drive me away faster than integrating these products into the Adobe Creative Cloud.

This is sad news.

Sadly its the main way todays.
The only alternative is open source.
It's why from time to time i make donation to the blender foundation even if i'm a C4D user.

I finally got rid of Adobe in my pipeline and now they're coming after the things I moved to.

Time to take a closer look at 3DCoat's smart materials.