Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (part 1)  (Read 74150 times)

Budget targets always had to be met, after all we had to survive^^

Not begrudging your profitable acquisition at all.  Personally for me...there's just a sense of betrayal.

Since you built your reputation on Indie pricing, indie friendly terms and then to hand over the code and future over to a non-indie friendly corporation.

It's just sad for me as a user.

In reading the blogs, Allegorithmic survived and flourished perfectly fine for 15 years, then two years ago Adobe joined the Alegorithmic board and suddenly budget targets had to be met (presuming bigger profits) which then led to Athegorithmic to sell to Adobe.

Lets hope Pixologic never invite Adobe on to their board.

Budget targets always had to be met, after all we had to survive^^
However Adobe joining the board 2 years ago helped us to triple our size (from 50 to 150 employees) and launch / start new products (Source, Alchemist, etc. and all the other cool stuffs we didn't announce yet).

Source will be closed after the CC switch, Alchemist will be cancelled once the first cuts come to make up for lost subscriptions. Do me a favour Nicolas and remember this post. I want you to remember that someone told you exactly what would happen in a year when what I just said does come to fruition. I am starting to think that you actually aren't just being Adobes mouthpiece and legitimately don't realise how royally fucked you are. You have destroyed your company, most of your friends at the office will be gone within a year or two. You do not understand the deal you made and how many before you made this same deal and perished within a few years.

Also your defense is very odd to say the least. You tell us that since Adobe has come on board you've bloated the company 300% and yet frankly I've been very unhappy with your updates since the change to a yearly based numbering system for your products. You have feature requests for extremely basic features that every other software has and have been on the support sites requests section for 3+ years. We STILL can't merge texture sets at export nor can we hide objects within the scene. You can't even copy filter stacks between layers. We can't get these features even though you've had 2 years of Adobe backing and a tripling in your company size? What the hell do I have to look forward to with Adobe ownership then? The same, or worse, rate of updates with a bloated licensing system, bloated CC software integration and no perpetual license?

Give me a break. You were around for 15 years and yet at the final 2, along comes Adobe into the board of directors swinging its might and controlling it all, you yourself credit them as the reason your employment rate tripled and you were able to start so many other projects. But now suddenly this is all a shaky foundation and selling yourself to Adobe is the thing to do.

Sounds to me like Adobe came on board and spent the last 2 years grooming your company for a take over, and your delusional wannabe Peter Jackson CEO fell for it; hook, line and sinker.
Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 12:09:10 am

This is a really sad moment.
Allegorithmic was amazing because of its independence and innovation!!!

The way Substance Painter has been so agile in its development in the past few years has been fantastic.
Allegorithmic really felt like a future company who I wanted to support and in turn they supported artists.
Definitely don't feel the same way about Adobe. They are a monolithic machine that swallows and digests the competition.
The Adobe subscription based model is horrific they have so many people by the balls and constantly squeeze more.

I truly hope this turns out for the best. But I honestly can't think of one company that's stayed innovative after being bought by its larger competitor.

I've already commented about this awful decision, but I'd just like to add that I think your small team of engineers has created software that's superior in practically every way to anything Adobe has released in the last decade. I think Painter is brilliant and a joy to use. Ingenious, fast, feature rich... if it gets subsumed into Adobe's subscription service (come on, of course it will), I will really miss having it around. I really hope you know what you're doing.

In reading the blogs, Allegorithmic survived and flourished perfectly fine for 15 years, then two years ago Adobe joined the Alegorithmic board and suddenly budget targets had to be met (presuming bigger profits) which then led to Athegorithmic to sell to Adobe.

As a small company, we always had to meet targets, simply to stay in business. The arrival of Adobe did not change that, we had other investors before Adobe came along. Any startup or small company is lucky if it makes any profit at all, and every cent of that profit for the past few years has been reinjected in new hires, hardware and offices.

We were acquired by Adobe because it made sense for the strategy of both companies, not because we were forced to.

Thats all good! I'm happy to hear it that you all in a good shape thanks to selling out the company.
Just tell me one thing:
- I bought (basically a month ago) a full year Substance Indi license BECOUSE I wanted to supplement it to a permanent license in the end of the yearly sub.
- I'm a small company as well, I'm happy if I make any profit as well, AND i ALSO INVEST EVERY PROFIT TO REINJECT TO MY COMPANY THIS IS HOW i BOUGHT SUBSTANCE for example.

What will happen with my bought 1 year subscription, but most important: will I be able to buy out my perma license in the end of the year sub?
- Should I give it up? (I do not wanna invest more that the + 40 dollar for the perma license in the end of the yearly sub) It's important for me to know these answers, since I do not wanna build up my pipeline around something that I have to pirate later on (of course it's posible, but if I have options, I rather dodge that scenario)

This thread

We're all for listening to feedback and discussing with you but for the love of the holy spaghetti monster, please stop predicting a future we know much more about than you do.

All will be cleared up in due time and your fears will be defused.
Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 12:18:43 am

As a small company, we always had to meet targets, simply to stay in business. The arrival of Adobe did not change that, we had other investors before Adobe came along. Any startup or small company is lucky if it makes any profit at all, and every cent of that profit for the past few years has been reinjected in new hires, hardware and offices.

We were acquired by Adobe because it made sense for the strategy of both companies, not because we were forced to.

No one can blame you for surviving and staying in business. It's vital. Every company has to spin somehow, find funds, investors, it's ok. Also it's ok if you had Adobe as you investor. If bad company wants to give you some money and get some interest income back - no problem. But if company like Abode gains control over company - then shit happens. This isn't about being acquired, but being acquired by Adobe! This is just very disturbing for everyone because of incredible mistrust of this particular company. Believe me or not, there won't be so much negativity if you were acquired by The Foundry, or merged with SideFX or Pixologic! This is the point. We'll accept it, but it's very hard.

Adobe and Autodesk are the two major black holes in software industry that keep on swallowing smaller companies. It doesn’t matter how for we try to runaway from it. we will end up in their doorstep again because eventually they will buyout everyone.

Thats all good! I'm happy to hear it that you all in a good shape thanks to selling out the company.
Just tell me one thing:
- I bought (basically a month ago) a full year Substance Indi license BECOUSE I wanted to supplement it to a permanent license in the end of the yearly sub.
- I'm a small company as well, I'm happy if I make any profit as well, AND i ALSO INVEST EVERY PROFIT TO REINJECT TO MY COMPANY THIS IS HOW i BOUGHT SUBSTANCE for example.

What will happen with my bought 1 year subscription, but most important: will I be able to buy out my perma license in the end of the year sub?
- Should I give it up? (I do not wanna invest more that the + 40 dollar for the perma license in the end of the yearly sub) It's important for me to know these answers, since I do not wanna build up my pipeline around something that I have to pirate later on (of course it's posible, but if I have options, I rather dodge that scenario)

Substance is here to stay, and you don't have to worry about anything.
Will we have new business models and will we make changes in the future? Of course, as we always did in the past. But when this happens we always warn our users and offer them fair offers. This is how we built ourselves, and how we will continue working.
Director of Product Management & COO

I have seen this movie again and again always has a bad ending.

A rebel heard that admires Adobe! Really? Did you read what you write?
Or your fresh love with Adobe renders you totally blind?

If you want my advise:

Sometimes is better not to talk at all is making things worse.

Hope to prove us all wrong. And be something like the "choosen one" that get into the system and make it human friendly.

Probably going to be my last post on these forums.

First of all id like to thank every person that has participated on these forums over the years - you people have always been helpfull and wonderfull and i wish you nothing but success and happiness!

I'd like to say a big thank you to every indie dev studio, individual developers, enthusiasts and pros who have been such an inspiration to me over the years, i wish all your projects to be the best they can be.

I'd like to thank Allegorithmic of 2017 - back when i discovered the joy of its products via steam, that enabled me to create what i wanted, you will be missed.

A collossal thank you and eternal gratitute to everyone who works with and on Blender and UE4 you guys are literally my lifeline.

Finally a big thanks to everyone who was on forum today saying the truth of how it is in the face of bastards lieing to us. You guys made me discover programs i never even heard of: Mari and Quixel, for that you have my sincere thanks. After a few hours of deliberations i found my new if per chance temporary home @Quixel.

Its a shame Allegorithmic died today and i share the pain and anger of all of you, yet we have no choice but to move on. One day we all will finish our projects! We all will make it! (except Allegorithmic they are fucked) Keep trying your best lads! I look forward to seeing and being excited about your stuff just as i hope you will one day admire mine.

May the blessings of the universe be with you all!~ <3

RIP  :'(

This thread

We're all for listening to feedback and discussing with you but for the love of the holy spaghetti monster, please stop predicting a future we know much more about than you do.

All will be cleared up in due time and your fears will be defused.

More like this thread:

Would have been great to sell to Unity instead.

Bring back MapZone...

There's no upgrade path from legacy license to current perpetual license so really I think it's actually the end of the line in terms of our customer/supplier relationship.

Well done you guys on creating a fantastic product. It had a great run.
Sad end tho.

My initial reaction wasn't happy either.

I really liked about Allegorithmic and Substance that there was an affordable perpetual license model and a Linux build. I know you haven't "announced anything yet" but we all know you don't have to. Adobe doesn't do perpetual license or Linux.

Every year I payed 150$ worth in upgrades for Designer and Painter. I wonder if Adobe will offer both tools together for 12,50$ a month. And allow me to use it after canceling the subscription. ;) (Careful, it's a rhetoric question.)

Substance tools were great for building a pipeline that was free of bloated Adobe or Autodesk software that keeps costing while offering no new features that matter. I don't see how Adobe (or Autodesk) are innovating since moving to subscription models - the opposite seems to be the case. Before they had to innovate to make people buy new versions. Now people are forced into subscription. If you stop subscription you can't even continue to use an old version.

I don't see how this is a good development for customers.