Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (part 1)  (Read 74157 times)

You know what would have been personally acceptable for me?

Adobe leaves you COMPLETELY alone, they dont get say in ANYTHING and only provide extra funding expecting nothing in return but your products on their platform SEPARATELY from every other released version. You continue as you have before - releasing on steam, here etc all same prices and policies.

Meanwhile on their shitty CC they can release the same versions we would have as standalones without ANY input on their part - Adobe acting ONLY as distributor and not interfering with anything you already had going. No reallocation of funds, - Allegorithmic division having separate income from its all 'other sales' (not from cc) going directly to it.
Also stipulation of public execution of anyone attempting ANY further intergration under any pretense.

That would be fine with me. Sadly this is not going to happen. Dont delude yourselves or try to lie about it to us, everyone here knows what will transpire.
Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 11:15:11 pm

"This is GREAT NEWS!!!"

-No-one ever

People will likely quit Allegorithmic on principal. Adobe is a notorious, shocking, unethical company.
I for one won't touch their products anymore. Too many expensive licenses rendered worthless in their quest for greed.

This is why people pirate software.

Has enyone seen Anakin and Allegorithmic CEO in the same room yet?

Shhh! Do not disturb him!!! He has a Peter Jackson moment now!  8)

IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEA, THAT HOW MUCH MONEY PETER JACKSON WOULD ASK /MONTH FOR AN OLREADY BOUGHT PERMANENT SOFTWARE LICENSE PLEASE SEND ME A PM!

https://medium.com/@sebastien.deguy/https-medium-com-sebastien-deguy-my-peter-jackson-moment-7dd64ba1d1f1

We totally understand your fears, and we were expecting such reactions.
We chose to go and work with Adobe (nobody or nothing forced us to do this) because we truly believe this is the best move to still help rock the 3d world. We obviously talked a lot with Adobe people before doing this move, and we know that it's now our job to show you why we did it. We don't expect you to take any words for granting, this is by our actions that we will show you why we did it :)

In the meantime, you can read the blogpost from our CEO, explaining his feelings about it: https://medium.com/@sebastien.deguy/https-medium-com-sebastien-deguy-my-peter-jackson-moment-7dd64ba1d1f1

The question is, did this choice happen because you needed to merge for the benefit of your customer base? Or did this happen as per the post below which was strictly about meeting quarterly targets?

https://polycount.com/discussion/208172/adobe-substance

This merge happened because we chose it, and we believe in the project for which Adobe gave us the keys.
We've had lots of offers in the last years, and we decided to go with Adobe because we truly believe in it.

And we now have to prove you why we did this :)

I do appreciate your reply. It would help a lot of people if we could know exactly what benefits we're going to see from this merger. We all love Substance and the negativity in this thread is solely based on not wanting to see something we love using day to day go away, or become priced in a way that smaller studios cannot afford the subscription fees. I already know people are going to say what has been green lighted, but these are all valid concerns especially when Adobe has touched other companies less than desirable results have occurred.

If Adobe allows Allegorithmic to continue doing what they do best, and keep the packages at a reasonable rate I'm sure most people will be fine, but with news about merging into Creative Cloud, well... that doesn't seem too promising.

We obviously cannot say much yet, and today the only thing we can say is that if you trusted us in the past, please trust us, even just a little bit, when we say we feel it's the best chance to go on improving the 3d world. And we will prove you why we did this.

Thank you for your response Nicolas. I'll ride this out and see how things play out. I have no intention of dumping Substance due to the merger personally and I've spent a lot of man hours learning all the software and really enjoy it. There would have to be an unattractive change in pricing or features to make me do this, and only time will tell what will happen. I'm not going to lie, I am a bit nervous as are so many others as substance is intertwined in my workflow.

I will be looking at a perpetual license though once my subscription runs out in three months.

A word of warning, be careful with perpetual license. At the end of the day you're purchasing perpetual access to Substance in an agreement with Allegorithmic and when they cease to be Allegorithmic then your license granter no longer exists and that license is invalid. They will just turn off the current licensing servers.

The same happened with InstaLOD. They sold licenses for UE4 integrations and when they decided to rebrand the company all those licenses just died overnight and don't function anymore.

Oh.. I didn't think about this. :(

A word of warning, be careful with perpetual license. At the end of the day you're purchasing perpetual access to Substance in an agreement with Allegorithmic and when they cease to be Allegorithmic then your license granter no longer exists and that license is invalid. They will just turn off the current licensing servers.

The same happened with InstaLOD. They sold licenses for UE4 integrations and when they decided to rebrand the company all those licenses just died overnight and don't function anymore.
That will not happen, we're not savages :)

You no longer speak for Substance, you do not own or control its future. Can you get the CEO of Adobe to come and post that instead?

I just found this in the Adobe site so fears for being in the cloud.....looks like it will happen:
https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-acquires-allegorithmic-substance-3D-gaming/
Very very very sad.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

We chose to go and work with Adobe (nobody or nothing forced us to do this) because we truly believe this is the best move to still help rock the 3d world. We obviously talked a lot with Adobe people before doing this move, and we know that it's now our job to show you why we did it. We don't expect you to take any words for granting, this is by our actions that we will show you why we did it :)

In the meantime, you can read the blogpost from our CEO, explaining his feelings about it: https://medium.com/@sebastien.deguy/https-medium-com-sebastien-deguy-my-peter-jackson-moment-7dd64ba1d1f1

Okay, Nicolas. You've earned you Adobe Troll of the Day Bonus.  You may go home now.

The question is, did this choice happen because you needed to merge for the benefit of your customer base? Or did this happen as per the post below which was strictly about meeting quarterly targets?

https://polycount.com/discussion/208172/adobe-substance

This merge happened because we chose it, and we believe in the project for which Adobe gave us the keys.
We've had lots of offers in the last years, and we decided to go with Adobe because we truly believe in it.

And we now have to prove you why we did this :)

I do appreciate your reply. It would help a lot of people if we could know exactly what benefits we're going to see from this merger. We all love Substance and the negativity in this thread is solely based on not wanting to see something we love using day to day go away, or become priced in a way that smaller studios cannot afford the subscription fees. I already know people are going to say what has been green lighted, but these are all valid concerns especially when Adobe has touched other companies less than desirable results have occurred.

If Adobe allows Allegorithmic to continue doing what they do best, and keep the packages at a reasonable rate I'm sure most people will be fine, but with news about merging into Creative Cloud, well... that doesn't seem too promising.

We obviously cannot say much yet, and today the only thing we can say is that if you trusted us in the past, please trust us, even just a little bit, when we say we feel it's the best chance to go on improving the 3d world. And we will prove you why we did this.

Thank you for your response Nicolas. I'll ride this out and see how things play out. I have no intention of dumping Substance due to the merger personally and I've spent a lot of man hours learning all the software and really enjoy it. There would have to be an unattractive change in pricing or features to make me do this, and only time will tell what will happen. I'm not going to lie, I am a bit nervous as are so many others as substance is intertwined in my workflow.

I will be looking at a perpetual license though once my subscription runs out in three months.

3D Coat, Quixel Suite, and (now) Blender 2.8 are going to become viable alternatives for individual users. The bigger companies and the elitists will still use Allegorithmic on a subscription model.

This is what will happen.
3D art is magic.

You can't say that because you are not in control any more.

I know exactly when I'll stop using Adobe ( :'( ) Substance - when I have to install Adobe Create Cloud to access it.

Did Adobe buy you in the sense they own the company or is this some sort of partnership

>:(  :o  :( This is bad bad bad bad.
I am sad.  :'(
Shows how our economic system really doesn't work.

Did Adobe buy you in the sense they own the company or is this some sort of partnership

Adobe bought them fullstop

https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-acquires-allegorithmic-substance-3D-gaming/

Download the executables, extract, transport shelf preferrably to a separate computer preferrably without internet access (alternatively timefreeze current version by hard disabling its connection) huzzah your miniature time machine to 'back when allegorithmic existed' is functional :3
Alternatively there is 1) pirating! 2) competitors! (likely making better products for less since they are not partnered with adobe)

And while that situation with instaLOD(which i know nothing about) might be unfortunate, UE4 is fantastic. Adobe is pure shit tho so nothing to be excited about.