Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (part 1)  (Read 97205 times)

Wow - so much negativity and so many folk who can predict the future (and all bleak).

When majority of your customer base is negative towards a business transition, that isn't a good thing. It's not about predicting the future, it's about a proven track record of failures by Adobe through acquisitions.

Shall I list them for you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_Adobe

Go do some research and see how things have turned out.

If you're alright with Adobe, that's your right, but majoirty of the people replying to this thread are not in support.

Keep in mind that you're not going to get the response you would like from Allegorithmic due to PR scripting. Adobe calls the shots regardless of what you hear or read from Allegorithmic employees. All we can do is hope Adobe allows Allegorithmic to run the show the same way they have been without merging, but we already know that isn't going to happen.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the software moves into a different direction to target a more wider audience as well as opposed to Game Studios, and Film artists.

Wow congrats... under just six hours you guys have already 20 pages of overwhelmingly negative comments for a single post. Do you really think people cannot read through sentences such as "When it comes to licensing, nothing changes for now."? Everyone here is well acquainted with Adobe's way of dealing with pricing and licensing. You'd have to be extremely gullible to believe that Allegorithmic will somehow magically be an exception to the rule.

When has ever, in modern history, a multinational corporation made decisions based on anything other than profitability? This is how publicly-traded companies are DESIGNED to operate. They are under legal obligation to maximize the investment of their shareholders, and their executives are elected and paid in accordance to their capacity to do so. They WILL slowly push their agenda and structure, step by step, doing damage control each time, and you know as much as anyone that in a few years from now the company will be unrecognizable.

Your users are afraid and lost faith, and rightfully so. It's happened to so many companies, over and over again. There is absolutely no reason to think this is any different. You guys have sold out, that's it. The people who signed this deal should be ashamed of themselves, for breaking the trust of their users and sacrificing the long-term job security and well-being of their employees, whose hard work and creativity has been the reason for your success. Greed, greed, always greed.

My plea is to NOT follow the Adobe licensing model. ACC Teams is an enormous pain for us.

They're switching to Creative Cloud, they just conveniently left that out of this announcement. The Gamasutra article has more details mainly from the Adobe perspective as a press release and includes this line:

The company plans to do that by bringing some of Allegorithmic's tools to the Adobe Creative Cloud

just have a look here

https://www.adobe.com/

there is no mention about this news. I have to search on google "allegorithmic adobe" to read "somewhere" on their blog about this epyc sad news.
just sayn how much they care about you guys.

this was a very sad day for one of the best software I knew so far... good luck

Hey guys, of you want more details such as proof that Substance is getting moved to the Creative Cloud you can dodge all of Allegorithmics marketing bullshit and two faced double speak by going straight to Adobes press release

https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-acquires-allegorithmic-substance-3D-gaming/

The addition of Allegorithmic furthers our expansion of Creative Cloud into 3D content design.

Goodbye Substance Suite

How different is the 3D Coat workflow? The two things I enjoyed most about Substance was the automatic generators (dirt/grime) and the ability to use alphas to paint in buttons and detail with height maps. Is that workflow, or something similar, repeatable in 3D coat?
Our studio hasn't used 3DC for quite a long time, but this post has me wondering about Blender 2.8 EEVEE. We are still getting used to the new blender interface in 2.8 but EEVEE is extremely badass and includes many new PBR options.  We just have no experience using them to generate/export textures.  Now I am wondering if there is a series of EEVEE tutorials to take us from newb to grandmaster in two weeks or so of intense use and training... Especially in conjunction with Decal Machine.

Wow, 
Did anyone at Allegorithmic  (or Adobe) expect such solidarity and condemnation,  20 pages  and I found just one post that showed any positivity at all (slight with misgivings).

To the principals....... this is the industry speaking, not a bunch of individuals.
What  have you done ?

Paul G

Just to add,  so the competitor to Substance is  Quixel, which in essence is an add on  for photoshop,  made by Adobe.

When Substance is out the way  lets all switch to quixel suite and  subscribe to Photoshop :-)

Paul G

I've been using Allegorithmic products since... Well, since MapZone. I'm not gonna lie- this makes me nervous as well.

It says something when pretty much the whole of your userbase/community is a bit freaked out. If it was a good thing, don't you thing we'd all be excited? That's a viable metric, and it isn't holding so well.

I finally took the dive to get the suite of Substance products, via the subscription model, with the intention to work towards the perpetual license. Now... Well, Adobe called it out, very plainly, with this statement:

"Our goal with Creative Cloud is to provide creators with all the tools they need for whatever story they choose to tell. Increasingly, stories are being told with 3D content. That’s why I’m excited to announce that today Adobe has acquired Allegorithmic, the industry standard in tools for 3D material and texture creation for gaming and entertainment."

So that's already one ugly mark... And Adobe said it best- Substance tools were the industry standard for material and texture creation for gaming and entertainment. Allegorthmic had no solid competition. You didn't need to be acquired, to enable you to grow your technology, that's rubbish. It's obviously money- we're not all dimwitted sheep.
Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:16:59 pm

This is very sad news :(

One of my favourite most innovative companies and products in the industry moving to Adobe :( 

Adobe destroyed Macromedia products back in the day.  Creative Cloud products get more expensive and less innovation each year.

Wish you guys all the best.   

We totally understand your fears, and we were expecting such reactions.
We chose to go and work with Adobe (nobody or nothing forced us to do this) because we truly believe this is the best move to still help rock the 3d world. We obviously talked a lot with Adobe people before doing this move, and we know that it's now our job to show you why we did it. We don't expect you to take any words for granting, this is by our actions that we will show you why we did it :)

In the meantime, you can read the blogpost from our CEO, explaining his feelings about it: https://medium.com/@sebastien.deguy/https-medium-com-sebastien-deguy-my-peter-jackson-moment-7dd64ba1d1f1
Head of Product Management

So what's happening with Substance Source, is that just going to disappear ?

Or become part of Adobe Stock ?

How different is the 3D Coat workflow? The two things I enjoyed most about Substance was the automatic generators (dirt/grime) and the ability to use alphas to paint in buttons and detail with height maps. Is that workflow, or something similar, repeatable in 3D coat?
Our studio hasn't used 3DC for quite a long time, but this post has me wondering about Blender 2.8 EEVEE. We are still getting used to the new blender interface in 2.8 but EEVEE is extremely badass and includes many new PBR options.  We just have no experience using them to generate/export textures.  Now I am wondering if there is a series of EEVEE tutorials to take us from newb to grandmaster in two weeks or so of intense use and training... Especially in conjunction with Decal Machine.

Thanks for the reply. I use Blender right now so I'm keeping an eye on their options. The ease of use of Substance was amazing, but eh, such is life. It'd be great to have a viable open source alternative.

We totally understand your fears, and we were expecting such reactions.
We chose to go and work with Adobe (nobody or nothing forced us to do this) because we truly believe this is the best move to still help rock the 3d world. We obviously talked a lot with Adobe people before doing this move, and we know that it's now our job to show you why we did it. We don't expect you to take any words for granting, this is by our actions that we will show you why we did it :)

In the meantime, you can read the blogpost from our CEO, explaining his feelings about it: https://medium.com/@sebastien.deguy/https-medium-com-sebastien-deguy-my-peter-jackson-moment-7dd64ba1d1f1

Going to rock the 3D world along with Mixamo and Fuse? At least you've made this post so when Seb is fired in 12 months and the entire team is gone by 2022 we can say it was actually all your fault for willingly choosing to sell out and you weren't forced to do it.

Sit on your throne of arrogance over the 12+ dead software corpses of former Adobe buyouts and proclaim you are the special case and that will never happen to you.

And FYI, no one gives a hot shit about your greedy CEOs corporate puppet Medium post, it is WONDERFULLY hilarious that he draws himself a comparison to Peter Jackson. A man who grew from extremely humble origins to produce a magnum opus and immediately crash and burn after, produce such amazing hits as The Hobbit and Mortal Engines. Good on you Seb!
Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:23:36 pm

So what's happening with Substance Source, is that just going to disappear ?

Or become part of Adobe Stock ?

Substance Source is staying, as all the products. And development is going to be even stronger.
For your information Substance Source assets have always been available on Adobe Stock, and we will of course see with Adobe how we can leverage this, as we will for every products.
Head of Product Management