Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (part 1)  (Read 74659 times)

Really sad news.

I was always impressed with Allegorithmic for being a small company that actually cared for their users, innovated, and charged reasonable prices for their software.

What is it with the corporate world?  Why can no company ever stand up and not allow themselves to be bought out by these larger companies?  Why do the executives of successful companies just need more, more, more wealth and are willing to ruin their companies for the large payout?

You say you hope that you won't lose the trust and support of your users, but you've already lost a lot of it.  Look at this thread.  The vast majority of responses are ranging from negative to extremely negative, with some people asking questions about subscriptions mixed in.  I only saw less than a handful of positive posts in the entire 16 pages so far.

So happy to hear the details of this transition, can't wait to see what you guys do with the future of 3D at Adobe

Wes, as a community leader, proven to have a level head on your shoulders, can we please hear your unedited opinion, unadorned with sugary toppings?

With the almost complete absence of whoops and hurrays, I can imagine that you aren't running around with an abundance of smiles today. How do you intend to get all of us to cross over the line you (the company and/or shareholders) have chalked out?

This hurts me in so many ways... I made my substance live perpetual some time ago, I was just about to renew the suscription once more..... and now I don´t know what to do. Should I? or not? What the hell guys? If all of us, the users, the fans of allegorithmic philosophy, the EPIC customer service are worried, or sad, or angry...

No big news here.

If it was not about the money you could just have open sourced it and it would definitely flourish. But that road is too scary.

Sad to see the suite go. Glad that I didn't have to much invested in it.

Ah man:( terrible news. U  sold out :'(

Lots of reasons to be concerned about this, given what's happened with many other companies undergoing similar acquisitions in the past.

Reading through these 17 pages of comments, it's clear there is a lot of anger, especially about the licensing situation. Truth is, we don't know what will happen with that, not yet.

What I want to know is: why should we be excited about this?

I don't mean that in a rhetorical, facetious manner. I literally mean, why should we be excited?

Allegorithmic staff in this thread are basically just trying to pacify and put out fires about licensing. Why don't you expound on why this is a good thing? Let's give them the benefit of the doubt, not just assume that they've been tempted to potentially fuck up their entire creative ecosystem just for the sake of some extra cash for the executives: there might be some really good, creative reasons for this merger. What are they?

In other words, what benefits will all this bring to the Substance suite of tools? Because I feel like that question hasn't really be answered.

Wes, as a community leader, proven to have a level head on your shoulders, can we please hear your unedited opinion, unadorned with sugary toppings?

Aren't we expecting a little too much of an employee who needs a salary to feed his family? It's not Wes' turn to speak about this decision as he probably had no stake in it.
These are top level decisions - so the CTO/CEOs are the ones to address this question to.

If it was not about the money you could just have open sourced it and it would definitely flourish. But that road is too scary.

Sad to see the suite go. Glad that I didn't have to much invested in it.

You can read Allegorithmic's comments in the thread on polycount, it appears to be fully amount money (when are these deals not about money?):

https://polycount.com/discussion/208172/adobe-substance

Reading through these 17 pages of comments, it's clear there is a lot of anger, especially about the licensing situation. Truth is, we don't know what will happen with that, not yet.

Adobe released a press-release stating it will become part of Adobe Creative Cloud, to offer the full power it has to their already existing designer user base.

Aren't we expecting a little too much of an employee who needs a salary to feed his family? It's not Wes' turn to speak about this decision as he probably had no stake in it.
These are top level decisions - so the CTO/CEOs are the ones to address this question to.

If someone who has our respect can calm people down and offer a better insight, Wes is someone who can... That's all.

One of the worst companies on Earth, congratulations on throwing yourself away. Time to learn Mari.

Oh and nice corporate speak on the licensing. No license changes "for now", licensing have no changes coming "currently". Kiss perpetual goodbye, folks. Enjoy the marked up Adobe Creative Cloud monthly online coming soon.
Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 08:47:10 pm

Adobe released a press-release stating it will become part of Adobe Creative Cloud, to offer the full power it has to their already existing designer user base.

You see the same thing everytime Adobe buys a compnay. There are always hold outs who say
   It will be different
   You do not know what will happen

Go over to the steam forums for Fuse. You had people defending the Adobe buy out only to go back a year later upset because it was not all sunshine and rainbows like the hoped for

Blizzard merged with Activision because they wanted to focus on making great games while letting the publisher take care of all the financial decisions. Look how that turned out. Diablo:Immortals wasn't even made in-house, it was outsourced. Most of the core team left the company long ago, constant budget cuts even made the entire e-sport scene disappear.
Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 08:50:30 pm

That isn't going to happen. I guarantee you everyone that is public facing at Allegorithmic has had PR training and been given a script of Adobe approved talking points that must be stuck too. Honest opinions are not allowed.

I was seeking for any photoshop's update for 3D artist, but there was only "how to delete f**king horse from the background".
Optimistic you were :)
Have you noticed that some photoshop plug-ins are still the same since photoshop 4.0 (1996)?

That's the adobe way of inovation !