Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (part 1)  (Read 74161 times)

I lost Flash, I lost Mixamo now I feel like I may have lost Substance.
Everytime I find something I love to work with, Adobe snaps it up and shoves a ridiculus subscription payment on it down the line. This was flexible and let me use it in my startup. Now I'm not sure what I will actually own.

They don't understand how important accessability of software is to help build small buisness. They are just a monopoly that tailors to the already set money makers.

I'm curious how big game studios are going to see this.  Do they mostly still use adobe products anyways and won't care?

It's obvious how indies are responding because most of us have been doing everything we can to escape adobe and autodesk.

Let's not miss the point: It's not only about ADOBE ... it's about the SUBSCRIPTION MODEL. Imagine having to pay, nominally, $20.00 per month for EVERY SOFTWARE PACKAGE you now own.  I currently have 58 software's on my computer. The subscription model ... and make no mistake: this is where the software industry is headed ... would cost me $1,160 per MONTH. That's $13,920 per year!!.

The "Casual" user ... you know, the ones that made company's like Allegorithmic successful ... just can't afford that. The decision in the future for users will be "Which software package MUST I have."  Some one will lose ...

So what is the smart thing to do here? I have been paying $19.90 a month since 11/03/2016 is what my account says but I have been with Allegorithmic since the very beginning, when they first started a monthly plan I joined. I had it out with Adobe and I will never ever buy anything from them,, EVER.... So what to do? Looks like Im out a lot of money?

Let's not miss the point: It's not only about ADOBE ... it's about the SUBSCRIPTION MODEL. Imagine having to pay, nominally, $20.00 per month for EVERY SOFTWARE PACKAGE you now own.  I currently have 58 software's on my computer. The subscription model ... and make no mistake: this is where the software industry is headed ... would cost me $1,160 per MONTH. That's $13,920 per year!!.

The "Casual" user ... you know, the ones that made company's like Allegorithmic successful ... just can't afford that. The decision in the future for users will be "Which software package MUST I have."  Some one will lose ...

Amen...

I'm curious how big game studios are going to see this.  Do they mostly still use adobe products anyways and won't care?

It's obvious how indies are responding because most of us have been doing everything we can to escape adobe and autodesk.

They can eat the cost. If anyone on this board had:
  4 or 5 project releasing every single year
 Making enough money to get a good tax write off on the cost of software

We wouldn't be upset about a possible 52 month subscription fee

Hey Jeremie, I hope you have your mortgage already paid  ;D

Maybe for you guys it is something. You have opportunity to work with huge company, with great history and tons of knowledge.As a developer, it is something amazing for you, I think. But for us, artists, it is giant step backward if, even in small piece, we will be related to any adobe structure, even launching substance painter from creative cloud. Your tools was like fresh air for us and really, there is no one good word after your announcement, about loving to coming back to adobe's road. Personally, I was seeking for any photoshop's update for 3D artist, but there was only "how to delete f**king horse from the background". And yes, I was using photoshop then and occasionally I am using it now, but please, do not connect those product even in a small piece together. It will kill community, there will be bunch of kids who download Substance from adobe and post on forums useless f*** questions and graphics. Please stay mature and please stay professional.

Just as a FYI: The link to the CEO's statement in the email doesn't work.

Also, Gamasutra has posted some interesting details -not- in the email here:  http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/334987/Adobe_acquires_Substance_toolkit_creator_Allegorithmic.php

Their new MASTERS already made a post how it will be (you know the MASTERS are allowed to speak not like their servants) :

"We’re committed to ensuring that Creative Cloud customers have the tools they need to shape their creative vision in a future in which 3D content is increasingly important."
So it will be in CC.

https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-acquires-allegorithmic-substance-3D-gaming/?trackingid=695P7QRJ&mv=email&fbclid=IwAR2HKWzFqz4LRCpKfsHmyAzlvm46hL52urQIKyXSWmswXg6wZkXJ2W7m8qg

A few years ago another cool innovative funky French company was bought up by an American box pusher....this is their funcy cool website since september 2018,

www.kolor.com

when the cool box pusher realised that VR and panorama wasn't their business. Even restarting the business was impossible and a whole strong community was left without any options and emptyhanded.

American companies are complete shareholder driven.....and they are legally bound to their shareholders interrests and these alone, so they can't be trusted. I've been at the receiving end of such a move myself when a Dutch ICT company I worked for was bought by an American staffer, a few month after the deal most of the original personal left the company, and factually the staffer had only bought leased chair, leased servers, a rented building and some leased pencils.

No this is GREAT move in the Trumpian sense of the word.

Just as a FYI: The link to the CEO's statement in the email doesn't work.

Also, Gamasutra has posted some interesting details -not- in the email here:  http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/334987/Adobe_acquires_Substance_toolkit_creator_Allegorithmic.php

Intresting point to note in that post:

"Adobe claims its track record of successfully integrating acquisitions will help accelerate Allegorithmic's product roadmap, and explained its long-term goal is to bring "the full power of Allegorithmic technology and Adobe Creative Cloud together.""

Cannot express my frustration about this move. Hopefully Adobe won't meddle with your development or subscription system in any harmful way. I wish you the very best outcome - a lot of negative vibes currently coming your way. Be strong.

I'm currently using Abobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign and Acrobat  as part of the subscription plan and is sad to say that those pieces of software are getting worse by the update. There's no innovation, there's no optimization and on top of that they are crashing all the time and I have a brand new computer that has no problem to deal with other pieces of software (for photogrammetry, substance painter and designer, zbrush, blender and maya).

Long story short:
As a current customer of Adobe and Allegoritmic
I see Allegoritmic as a company that brings innovation and cares for the customers. Bright ideas and always that "OMG" moments when you work with their software.

On the other hand, I see adobe as a juggernaut who really can not care less for their own products and even less for the customers.

I don't see those morals coming together for the good of the customers. Feels like when you try to put together a SS Nazi (Adobe) and Peace Nobel Price (allegoritmic) together in a room and expecting to get something positive out of it
I think is just sad and at this point I'm f$&#*@ing upset and sad because I'm not planning to give a dime those as$#&@les from Adobe.

Many expletives to whoever thought this was a good idea.

You do realize that people just tolerated you and this "subscription" as long as it concluded with a perpetual license, right?  If we agreed with your decision, then we'd all be wrong, and while we could try to explain our hatred, we can't understand it for you.

If you persist in the delusion that this is a good idea, anyone who ever loved you was wrong. I've never seen anyone trade a crown of glory for shackles of shame. The fact that nobody here understands you doesn't make you an artist.  If you felt that you needed Adobe to survive, then your inferiority complex was fully justified.

What rebuttal would be clear enough, shocking enough that you'd abandon this folly and do what is right?  Is your conscience so seared that nothing will wake you up from this nightmare?  If none of this gets through to you, then you're as bright as a black hole and twice as dense.

I wish now that we may be better strangers.  I'm jealous of all the people who haven't known you, as they'll never feel the depths of pain you've brought this day.

"You say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked."

Goodbye, friend.  Apparently, I never knew you.